Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hit me with nap/ night potty training

Dd2 (4) is still in pull-ups while sleeping. Her preK next year has nap time where she must be trained. I'm dedicating this summer to tackling this.

She is very aware of her body but just sleeps very deeply- give me your best tips please!!
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DS is 7 1/2 and we are still working on nights (using alarm for last 5 months). Before that, when he had nap time at TK and K, he either didn't sleep or didn't sleep very deep or long, so it wasn't an issue. Plus, they would have a bathroom break right before nap. He would occasionally have accidents if he fell asleep in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think this is an issue you can train away. If you're making sure she pees right before nap time and bedtime, but she's still wetting, it may be biological. It seems lots of kids have this issue, and pediatricians don't even consider it a problem until really late, like age 8 or something. I do know parents who take their sleeping child to the potty before the parents go to bed, so a few hours after the child has fallen asleep. That works for some. Both my kids are very heavy sleepers once they actually fall asleep, but they've both been dry through the night (barring the occasional accident) since less than a month after day training. That's why I think some kids are physically capable younger and some aren't. It's clear lots and lots of kids have trouble and others don't. It may just be the particular kids and nothing to do with what parents do or don't do to potty train.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

That's tough. DS1 (5.5) still wears pull-ups at night and wore them all the while he took naps, which was until he was a little over 4. Occasionally he'd be dry during naps, but not often. After a lot of reading I believe he's just not physiologically ready to stay dry while he sleeps. I think your best bet is to limit fluids and use the bathroom right before nap. Maybe even limit nap duration. But if your DD's brain is not ready, I'm not sure how much true training can happen. Hopefully she'll outgrow naps soon and it won't be an issue for long. Sorry I'm not much help!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    spoiled wife
    mom to gregarious DS1 1/11
    mom to active DS2 5/13
    mom to DD 12/16

It's not something that can be trained at that age. It took one of my DC 7-8 years, which is in the normal range, per the pediatrician.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Nights happen on their own. In my experience. I never had a kid nap after 2 so i cant help on that. Its a big age gap. My oldest slept dry from 18 months. Jacks was closer 4 daytime mine were 2 to 2 1/2
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Does she still nap every day? What are the chances she will actually be falling asleep at school?

DS1 (5.5) is not night time potty trained. He has rest time in pre-k this year, but the chances of him falling asleep were pretty miniscule from the start. I don't think anyone in his class actually falls asleep, although there may have been a few who did at the beginning of the year. I wouldn't worry about it until school starts next year, and it actually becomes a problem. I would think there are plenty of kids at that age who are not potty trained for naps/night.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's something they just develop. I can't believe they want to force it at 4. Is she dry during naps? I'd just make sure she pees right before her nap. DS1 was not dry at night until he was 7. The doctor said not to worry until 8, and even then it was still probably normal. I potty trained DS2 just after 3 (he was a tough one to train). He was dry at night regularly 2 weeks after DS1 was at 3.5.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd consider some back up school programs...

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hmm. Once my kids were daytime trained, they didn't have (many) accidents while napping. My only advice is to make sure she goes every time right before she naps.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast