Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What are tween girls using for backpacks in middle school?

DD3 is finishing up her last few days of elementary school and headed to middle school in September. Just wondering what's "cool" for girls this age in middle school? Back in the day, with my older ones, it was vera bradley tote bags.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What are tween girls using for backpacks in middle school?

Remember that it's so so regional. Heck, even within a region it's school specific. Most of the time people rave about brands on here, they aren't at all popular where I live. I swear it just takes one trendsetter per school to dictate what's the thing to wear. So I'd just observe where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Around here you can't go wrong with a Herschel.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lots of Jansport here. Also Nike and Underarmour. I"m in the midwest and not many Vera Bradley backpacks. Also NO NAMES or initials at all.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My daughter just finished 8th grade here in Cincinnati area and most of the girls have Very Bradley backpacks.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Remember that it's so so regional. Heck, even within a region it's school specific. Most of the time people rave about brands on here, they aren't at all popular where I live. I swear it just takes one trendsetter per school to dictate what's the thing to wear. So I'd just observe where you are.

Yup.

Here, lots of UnderArmour and Nike, our bus stop has about 15 kids and these are what most have in the middle school / older elementary world. Leaving the neighborhood, these are also what I notice at the other stops. A few of my daughter's friends have Vera Bradley, but they don't look super practical to me. My daughter said her friends that have them struggle to carry everything. Maybe they got small/cute ones vs. larger ones?

LL Bean here. I do see Vera Bradley but we are not the kind of people to get a new backpack every year so LL Bean it is!

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD1 has been using a Jansport backpack for the past couple years, which is still in great condition. She claims she wants a new one this year. She's been looking at Vera Bradley and PBTeen.

I don't get the Vera Bradley ones. I think they'll get ruined really fast b/c of the fabric. But I saw they seem to have new ones in polyester fabric this year, so maybe one of those. Plus they do not look big enough to hold everything they carry every day! Her backpack was nearly bursting most days.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

Dd1 begged me for a rolling backpack for two years and I finally gave in and bought her a rolling pack from LL Bean. I told her it has to last until at least 7th grade, if not 8th grade. The pack is a tank so with any luck I can give it to her sister when she starts 4th grade if Dd1 decides that rolling backpacks are uncool. Thankfully rolling backpacks are still common in middle school at our school, which is a pk-8 school with 330 kids. I don't see many rolling packs in public middle, but that is just limited to the kids I see walking or riding their bikes to school. There are still kids that take the city bus or are driven by parents so no idea what kids use.

Jansport is popular brand here and what Dd1 used for two years prior to getting her rolling pack this past April.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Backpacks are used universally here. The kids unfortunately have to lug their stuff around all day since the school no longer lets them use lockers. I am looking for a new one, and was looking at some of the PB ones. I've always bought Lands End or LL Bean but the patterns of the PB ones are ones my tweens would like more. I just don't know how they hold up and if they are lightweight.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast