My words are failing me as of late, so maybe y'all can help! DD, age 13, has been picking out most of her own clothes for a couple years now. We mostly order online, and have gotten a bunch of hand-me-downs from a family friend that she has been happy with. But, this year, she wants to branch out and we are butting heads on what is and is not appropriate. The latest battle is swimsuits. She wants bikinis, which are not an automatic no in my book, but some of what is popular this year is strappy, peek-a-boo, lots of strings, and (IMO) looks a lot like skimpy lingerie. She, of course, doesn't see anything wrong with it, while I struggle to gently explain to her that some of her choices just aren't appropriate at her age. She is not prepared for the attention that wearing it would attract. I'm having a hard time coming up with how to balance the want for what is trendy and popular with a need for a level of modesty. (To be clear, I am not trying to restrict her to full cut/athletic/mom styles.)

How do I word this? Maybe I should back off? Any advice is much appreciated!