Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    I think this is a YMMV thing, OP, and I wouldn't let that stop you from suggesting suits that you think would work for you and your DD. My DD (9.5 y/o) is concerned with the style of the suit, not where it's from, not to mention that she has no idea where I get my bathing suits or what brand they are.
    I also don't want to be spending $100 on an Athleta or Title Nine swim suit for my kid when I have a hard time paying that price for a 13 yr. old (and I need a new suit myself this year and swallowing that $100 price tag is hard for me and I am 38). My kid might be the odd one but I couldn't take her even at 10 into Title 9 or Athleta to shop because that is where mom shops, just like she doesn't expect me to shop in the tween/juniors dept. at Macy's. I can't see that changing anytime soon IMHO.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-28-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I gave into bikinis when DD1 was 8. DD1 is now 10 and she chose a swim skirt with a cropped top (from Hanna Anersson, which really surprised me!) She does have to wear a regular tank suit for a summer camp at a Christian school she goes to, and for swim team, but she still likes a bikini and I don't have a problem with it as long as it is age appropriate.

I agree with this and even though I was not comfortable in a bikini at 13 (I was 18 when I bought my first one) if I had wanted one my parents wouldn't have told me no. I would stick with a young brands like Roxy or one you that you find at a surf store.

She isn't going to want wear the same swimsuit brands as her mom.
    I was speaking to the style and where you could find them. I didn't feel like digging up links- just trying to tell people where they could look for ideas. Plus, Macy's does have a juniors department. But this is what I was referring to:
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/h...ntId%3DCONTROL
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/k...ntId%3DCONTROL

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I was speaking to the style and where you could find them. I didn't feel like digging up links- just trying to tell people where they could look for ideas. Plus, Macy's does have a juniors department. But this is what I was referring to:
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/k...ntId%3DCONTROL
    Oh okay. Yes Macy's does have juniors, and at one store near me a nice tween section.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I thought about this a lot a couple years ago, and decided that for girls (well, my girl), it's about the style, not showing off her body. She likes the look of bikinis. And the ease of going to the bathroom! And I think that's ok. Everyone is wearing them, so I don't think the boys, or men, are going so crazy mad looking at young teens showing some skin. Do I want her in a string bikini? No, and she'll hear that. But showing her stomach when she swims? I have decided that I don't have a problem with that. She got a couple of cute suits from Justice this year, and they aren't going to move when she jumps in a pool. I think telling her she can't wear one might send a message that her body isn't something to be proud of and love. But that's just me. I also am someone who loves to go to hotspring places where everyone is naked (don't worry, I don't take my kids) and it isn't sexual at all. That said, I'm done with bikinis personally because, well, it's time to cover up the jiggles...

Anyway, I think there's a happy medium between a string bikini and a one-piece suit. Something that's more like a sports bra, but still pretty. Because most of us still want to feel pretty when we're in a bathing suit.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    I thought about this a lot a couple years ago, and decided that for girls (well, my girl), it's about the style, not showing off her body. She likes the look of bikinis. And the ease of going to the bathroom! And I think that's ok. Everyone is wearing them, so I don't think the boys, or men, are going so crazy mad looking at young teens showing some skin. Do I want her in a string bikini? No, and she'll hear that. But showing her stomach when she swims? I have decided that I don't have a problem with that. She got a couple of cute suits from Justice this year, and they aren't going to move when she jumps in a pool. I think telling her she can't wear one might send a message that her body isn't something to be proud of and love.
    My DD has always worn bikinis and so have all of her friends, so I have always been a little surprised to read of a fairly common opposition to them on this board. We live at the pool all summer long (and winter, since we swim year round) and all the girls are in their swim team bathing suits for team stuff and then change into bikinis for the rest of the time. Same with the beach. I would worry a little about sending a body shaming message or that it is a girl's job to cover herself up so as not to tempt the young boys, but I felt that way about girls wearing leggings too. My DD is 9 and doesn't have any sort of chest yet, but I let her wear whatever she wants as long as it fits.

When I was young, we also lived at our pool in the summertime and bikinis were not super popular.... we all wore one pieces. That changed when I was in college, and I have worn 2 pieces ever since. But I never see a girl in a one piece now unless it is at a swim meet or practice.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So are you all saying any two piece suit that shows the midriff is a bikini? I always wore a sports bra style two piece suit from about sixth grade on. But I wouldn't call it a bikini. To me a bikini is more of a regular bra style top and tiny bottoms.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    My DD has always worn bikinis and so have all of her friends, so I have always been a little surprised to read of a fairly common opposition to them on this board. We live at the pool all summer long (and winter, since we swim year round) and all the girls are in their swim team bathing suits for team stuff and then change into bikinis for the rest of the time. Same with the beach. I would worry a little about sending a body shaming message or that it is a girl's job to cover herself up so as not to tempt the young boys, but I felt that way about girls wearing leggings too. My DD is 9 and doesn't have any sort of chest yet, but I let her wear whatever she wants as long as it fits.

When I was young, we also lived at our pool in the summertime and bikinis were not super popular.... we all wore one pieces. That changed when I was in college, and I have worn 2 pieces ever since. But I never see a girl in a one piece now unless it is at a swim meet or practice.
    At the pool now. Every 11-12+ girl is wearing a bikini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post

That is the exact scenario at my country club pool. We're there all.the.time throughout the summer, and every girl 11 and older are in bikinis. Fair number of younger girls but not a given though, as there's a wide range of styles with girls under 8.

I went to an all girls catholic school and remember being told we had to cover up and be modest, lest we make boys lust after us. I hated the message being send to us, and swore if I had girls I would not send any kind of messages like that via body language and clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

My girls are both more modest than me in clothing. They both want one-pieces... high neck one pieces, actually! Not easy to find. They won't wear any bikini, DD2 won't wear any tankini, and neither will wear anything with a v neck or remotely low cut top.

My girls don't care what anyone else wears for a suit. They know what they like. And I guess that attitude is one to celebrate.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Suits like this: http://www.zappos.com/billabong-kids...ds-black-sands

are popular here. The flutter up top gives a little more coverage than a regular bikini. Around here I do see girls in fashionable one pieces, but the majority are in bikinis. I don't think I've ever seen pre-teens/teens in a tankini. That's strictly for little kids and moms.
    I agree with this recommendation. These aren't anything like lingerie, quite modest as bikinis go, and seem to be popular among tweens and young teens. Definitely the kind of suit I'll look for when DD1 starts asking to only wear bikinis. Right now she's 10, built like a little kid, wears Hanna Andersson tankini or rashguard separates for swim lessons and to the beach.

for Sandy Hook

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast