Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Suits like this: http://www.zappos.com/billabong-kids...ds-black-sands

are popular here. The flutter up top gives a little more coverage than a regular bikini. Around here I do see girls in fashionable one pieces, but the majority are in bikinis. I don't think I've ever seen pre-teens/teens in a tankini. That's strictly for little kids and moms.
    I found two with this fluttery top look at Target, gave them both to DD1 this weekend and she was THRILLED!!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Lands End has great choices up to size 16, which fit my almost 14 yr old, 5'4-115 lbs. women's size 6.
    The "bikinis' are really good coverage, and my daughter will thrown on one of the rash guard if we are out all day.
    We live at the beach and my daughter wears a suit every day. She will wear a one piece or tankini or bikini and feel great.
    She just wants to know that the suit is not going anywhere, and she has that sense of comfort with LE. She's got a couple
    of suits and swim shorts from Old Navy and Walmart, as well.

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When my DD was in middle school and wanted a bikini, I got her one from Speedo ~ more like a sports bra on top and a bottom that covered her bottom, but still cute. She loved it, plus she could swim without worrying whether it would stay put. Now she's in high school and has a couple of skimpier options but she prefers the Speedo bikinis because she's never worrying about flashing someone or having to tug/adjust all the time like she does with the others.

Speedo comes out with a new bikini style each year for girls ~ http://www.speedousa.com/illusion-cu.../style-7714005
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

kit is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Just wanted to share my story. When I pulled out DD's swimsuit for this summer DH was concerned it was too revealing. First off, DD is still in preschool. Second, her swimsuit is a long sleeve rashguard and swim skirt. Not sure how he's going to handle when she becomes a tween/teen

cheme is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by solsister View Post
    Lands End has great choices up to size 16, which fit my almost 14 yr old, 5'4-115 lbs. women's size 6.
    The "bikinis' are really good coverage, and my daughter will thrown on one of the rash guard if we are out all day.
    We live at the beach and my daughter wears a suit every day. She will wear a one piece or tankini or bikini and feel great.
    She just wants to know that the suit is not going anywhere, and she has that sense of comfort with LE. She's got a couple
    of suits and swim shorts from Old Navy and Walmart, as well.
    This is a good idea. My dd much prefers one pieces, but she has so long of a torso that the size 16 don't work anymore. I bet the tankinis would, although she may need to settle for some of her stomach showing.

We went with a womens speedo from costco because she really wanted a full coverage one piece, but even that doesn't fit great. She is super skinny but with the long torso, it makes the suits lower on her chest that either of us would like.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just left Target with DD, who just turned 13. She had to get medium size bikini tops (she's about a 34B) and XS bottoms, she has a super cute figure, and is very fit from swimming, but also is wanting to be appropriately covered. Everygirl around here wears a bikini, tiny little girls, average size and larger girls, which I'm happy to see wearing what they want, and not worrying about what looks "perfect". I don't see the issue with bikini's at all, as long as they fit properly and stay on. We swim mostly at a semi private pool, but even at the bigger public pools I see it all. Nobody around here (Central IL) wears a rash guard. I bought some a few years back and both of my kids looked at me like I had three heads! We use sunscreen and haven't burned yet.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If people are still looking, Athleta Girl has some adorable tankini sets that would probably please parents and teens!

for Sandy Hook

Many of the options in this thread were a little expensive for me, plus I wanted free in-person returns. If it helps anyone else, Zero Xposure is brand sold at Sears and JCPenney's that has worked for us multiple times for my two daughters who like modest suits. Sportier styles and tank top tankinis (or high neck tankinis) work for them becuase they don;t like anything too low, too V cut, too emphasizing the bust.

DD2 already had swim shorts and just got this tankini from JCPenney's. The colors in the top are not correct.... in person, it is charcoal gray, light purple, and green.
    http://tinyurl.com/h25u22p

There is also one in more of a charcoal zebra/tie dye look called Sunshine.

Sears has an identical style in stripes, which DD2 liked even better, but it runs very small... DD2 (5'2", 130 pounds, A cup) would have needed a medium.
    http://www.sears.com/everlast-reg-wo...5&blockType=G5

She also really liked this one, which comes in many colors. But the underband emphasizes the bust more, which my 11 year old didn't want.

http://www.jcpenney.com/zeroxposur-s...617024611M.TIF

DD2 wanted a one piece, but they were nigh impossible to find even online, and the ones I ordered didn't fit her. Kohl's, Justice, Sears, JCPenney and Lands End are where I looked. She switched to the tankini options when she found the tops linked above and realized she could wear swim shorts.
    Last edited by american_mama; 07-11-2016 at 02:13 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD1 also got the LLBean BeanSport Bikini top and side tie swim bottom in Blue Reef Wave print, and she loves them! They are super cute and have enough coverage IMO (although she was struggling with trying to tie the straps on the top, LOL).
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4