Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Telling your kids you have to put your dog down is the hardest thing!

We had to put our 13 yr. old lab down last night. She was having more problems walking and her legs were tremoring a lot, she was going deaf, and we knew she was losing her eye sight, but on Saturday night when DH was walking her she couldn't walk a straight line and when he got her home she crashed into a wall of the house and couldn't find her food. She couldn't move well on Sunday and laid in the same two spots all day and then stopped eating all together Sunday evening and couldn't make it to her dogbed in the garage on Sunday night and slept by the door. She slept in what looked like pee when I found her yesterday AM so DH and I knew it was time.

We thought we had prepped the girls and they spent time with her on Monday before school, but after school last night the questions started again about how the dog was going to die (DH had the appt. for 5:45) and they both balled like crazy for 15 minutes and it was seriously the worst feeling ever. They got to say goodbye again before I made dd1 go to swim (she didn't want to go but later said she was glad she went instead of going to with DH....DH didn't want her to go). This morning things are better, but it is still hard. Ugh I just wish it didn't have to be this way.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I know how hard it is, we went through something similar this past winter. It hurts for a good while, keep your pup in your memory and don't shy away from talking about the good memories. My kids still like to look at doggie pictures from years past, even though we got a new dog about a month ago. It gets better, hugs to all.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Annie, I just got on this board today having not been on here much at all over the last 6 months (not for any reason other than got too busy on some other stuff). I got on here with some wistful memories and teary eyes, as we made the decision last night to put our 14.5 year old yellow lab Daisy down. Her apt. is tomorrow. Hugs to your family. I know my 9 year old will be very upset.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm so sorry. We haven't been through this yet, we just got our first family dog 4 years ago.

We did go through it from afar with our neighbors though. It was HARD, even though it wasn't our dog. We all bawled like babies over her loss and over the pain the family was in. It was hard to imagine the pain they felt.

She went downhill much like your sweet girl did. Don't beat yourself up, you couldn't have prepared your daughters any better. It just plain sucks, there's no way to make that better. My neighbor said the oldest daughter would just cry and cry at times for a long while afterwards, she didn't remember a time when the dog wasn't there and it was a very hard adjustment. They missed that dog so much. It just takes time.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm so sorry. We haven't been though this with DCs yet, but I am dreading it. Our dog is 10, so it will happen sooner than I would like. Hugs to all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It was hard when I was talking to dd1 and told her we had had Sydney as long as we had Dd1. I was about a month pregnant with Dd1 when we got the dog. One of my favorite photos of myself and the dog was at the dog beach three days before I had Dd1.

Dogmom, so sorry for your loss of Daisy.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

AnnieW625 and Daisymom, I'm so sorry for your family's losses. Our furry family members teach us and our kids so much about life and love, but also about death.

for Sandy Hook

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It's so hard. Especially when the kids start crying, and your heart is breaking for them, and for the dog too.

Daisymom, you wrote some really wonderful words when my dog passed in January. Thank you for that. I hope both you and Annie find comfort in the many good years you had with your dogs. We still miss our little dog very, very much. There are so many sweet moments that we shared every day, and I miss that companionship. Hugs to you both as you say goodbye.

I'm so sorry.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast