trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Update in 8. And now Intuniv, could use some P & PT this goes well

Here is the back story http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...TDT-Focalin-XR
    Any BTDT with Intuniv, care to share your experiences? TIA!
    Last edited by trcy; 06-01-2016 at 07:23 AM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It has worked very well for us. We did have to change up the dosing because of interaction with other medication, but hopefully that isn't an issue for you. We noticed tiredness the first few weeks, but not after that. You may need to experiment with giving it AM or PM - usually one or the other is better, but depends on the child.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    It has worked very well for us. We did have to change up the dosing because of interaction with other medication, but hopefully that isn't an issue for you. We noticed tiredness the first few weeks, but not after that. You may need to experiment with giving it AM or PM - usually one or the other is better, but depends on the child.
    Thanks, they told me to give it in the PM. How long after it's given do you usually notice the tiredness? DD has an important event in the evening next week and I don't want her to be tired during it. She will go to bed right after. So should I give it to her before or after the event? It will last an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

For us it was several hours after, so if in the morning, he was getting sleepy after lunch at school. If you are giving it in the evening, I would do it right at bedtime.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used Adderall XR in the AM with Intuniv in the afternoon. We saw little to no change in the evening. We discontinued it. DS is only on Adderall XR.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

It has worked well for my autistic DS (age 8 - he's taken it since age 6.) His issues though are mainly impulsiveness/aggression - he's not using it for attention issues. It basically slows down/tempers over-reactions. He started with a night-time dose, but we found it disturbed his sleep (waking up at 5am or earlier). Now he gets it with breakfast. He was often tired in the afternoon, but that side effect has worn off. He is on the very smallest pill - we noticed it did lower his blood pressure to the point where we don't think it's safe to increase the dosage. I'm not entirely sure it's still doing anything - he's made a lot of growth developmentally through individual therapies. Since it has such minimal side effects though we haven't rushed to take him off of it.

My 7 year old dd is on the short acting version for the second time this year. We have been through 5 meds with similar results as you have had. The short-acting Intuniv was great but we had to take her off for bp drops and tummy aches. We are back to trying it again at a lower dose bc we have tried all our other options at this point. My dd also gets super moody and rages on other meds. Our psychiatrist said no more stimulants for her. Fingers crossed for you.

OP here
    She has been on it for a few days. I have noticed a decrease in hyperactivity and impulsiveness. And no aggression, so that is nice. The first two days she was so tired she took a nap, but that seems to be improving. She has complained off and on that her stomach hurts, but it doesn't seem to last long; hopefully that will go away. Her sleep has been funky on it though. She falls asleep easily but wakes up multiple times throughout the night. I am wondering if I should start her back on melatonin. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Switching to a morning dose solved the sleep issue for us, ymmv. Might be worth trying that before adding melatonin.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Even after taking if for 2 weeks, on a quarter of the smallest dosage DS was falling asleep throughout the day. He slept on his desk at school. DH thought he acted stoned. He just couldn't continue on like that.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.