Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What age for texting?

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    Texting took off for us this year - 3rd grade/ DD turned 9 in March. All between girls, no boys. I read them all and they are just a lot of emicons and fluff "hey what's up?" kinds of texts. None of the girls have phones yet but everyone has ipad minis.
    Texting became big with DD's friends this year and she is allowed to text a few friends from her mini. She is also 9 and in 3rd grade. She's not really into it, though, which is fine with me.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lula texts her cousin, and on she one and only spend the night she texted me. It's cute what they text.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Thanks everyone for their input. I am still not comfortable with allowing her to do it now, but I may revisit the issue next year (as opposed to Middle School when I thought I would be doing it).
    Mamma to a pretty little princess 3/06, a long awaited blessing 6/11, and a sweet surprise 11/13!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Yes to this, although there are kids in Dd1's class who text using their iPod touches or their parents phones. Dd1 has no interest in this, but I assume it will change in middle school.
    This is DS. He's in 5th grade and some friends have phones and to text him, they text my phone number asking for DS to call them. DS does have an ipod and there's a family ipad, but he hasn't shown interest in texting from those. I expect it will change soon.

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Dd1 has been using Hangouts for about the last year. She just turned 11 and just finished 5th grade (last year of elementary school.) I had her on Hangouts because I got notification on my Android phone everytime she sent a text. As pps have mentioned, it was mostly fluff, stickers and talking about what happened at school. She really only texted one or two girls during the school year. Within the last few months, she's added a few boys to the mix. These are boys that I'm comfortable with her texting as I know all their parents well.

She just got a dumbphone for her birthday. She hasn't really been using it except to text that inital friend from Hangouts as most of her friends don't have their own phone yet.
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2