petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Waist Reducers-do they work?

You know those waist bands that claim you can put them around your waist and sweat excess water weight off your abdomen? Has anyone here tried one and do they really help to make you lose weight around the middle?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Never heard of it. Do you have a link? But from what you mentioned, I don't see how it would possibly work. Weight in the middle is not usually water. And if you are just going to drop water.... drink less? The end result of a partially dehydrated state seems like it would be the same. (But I would also not recommend dehydration as a weight loss strategy.)
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You mean that crazy wrap thing??? No they don't work, I know someone who sells them, or sold them, it's a pile of crap.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No they don't work.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

kinda what I figured but I've seen them pop up more around town lately.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The people who market the "crazy wrap" thing have managed to get quite a few around here to drink their MLM Koolaid and you see their bright green signs on vehicles all the time.

Wel, I have no BTDT, but I wondered if you meant corsets. Yes, the same word corsets like from the 1800's. I have a neighbor whose sister has gotten hugely into working out and competing in bikini/fitness competitions, and she wears a corset all the time, including while working out. I don't know why. Maybe it was just a fad for a few months. My neighbor wanted to trim her waist and stomach, and she loves trying new workout things, so she bought a corset. It definitely made her wait look lovely in a few specific dresses (so she wore it as killer shapewear), but I don't know what she thought of it as a way of improving her waist even when the corset was off.

I have also heard of wraps to correct diastasis (separation of abdominal muscles), along with specific exercises, and the binding apparently really helps move the muscles back into proper position, which creates a much flatter stomach. A physical therapist here on BBB posted about her positive experience with this method (Tuper method).

Lastly, I have heard a lot of Asian grandmas swear by wearing girdles or the like immediately after birth to regain a flat stomach faster. I've heard a few moms of the younger generation swear by it too. I always wonder if these woman a tiny or naturally slim in the first place, and would recover the same without a girdle.

All of the above sound like gimmicks to me, with the exception of the diastasis wrap, and I suspect that's what conventional or medical wisdom says too. But I always wonder if there is something more to it that we are too readily dismissing.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9