bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Want to help me plan a trip to San Francisco?

I've been reading trip advisor, but of course there are a million things to do there! We'll be there 2 or 3 days. With NO KIDS! First no kid trip in 7 years. So I want to take advantage of things that are hard with a toddler and little kids. I'm sure we will take them in a few years.

I've been and remember the bridge, fishermans wharf, and ghiradelli square. But it's been a long time since I was there.

So what's the best? Oh, and I'm pregnant, so my energy is lacking a bit but I'm hoping I'll be feeling better in a couple months. I'm just starting my 2nd trimester.

Thanks!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'll be watching as we are going there in August for a friend's birthday. Since it's his birthday, he is organizing the whole thing, but a major thing we are doing is white water rafting. We will be arriving a day early to site see a little before everyone else shows up. Will be watching this thread! We will be there without kids too!! Yay for you too!!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This all depends on what you and your DH like to do. SF has so much to offer, you can really find something for just about any interest. Give us some idea of piques your interest that you'd like to do without kids around?

OP here.

It would be nice to go to a nice restaurant--we almost never get out of the house without kids so it's been years since eating at nice restaurant.

Also thought about doing a food tour--I've wanted to do this in my own town, but can't get away from the kids long enough. So we like food!

Shopping kid free would also be a Novelty and fun.

And of course exploring the city. Where the best views are of the city/bridge would be helpful.

Thought about a ferry ride--sounds fun. Read about Sausalito, but I'm not really sure what's there.

If you love to eat, I recommend going on Chowhound and sharing your budget, cuisine preferences, ambiance preferences (e.g., romantic and quiet, or hip and loud), etc. SF has a ton of foodies and we love to eat! Some places require a 2 month advance reservation (if you can even get one--we have yet to try State Bird Provisions or Lazy Bear as we can't plan date nights that far in advance) but there will plenty of less trendy places available on shorter notice.

Personally, I would not bother with Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, etc. because they will be crowded with tourists and really don't offer much IMHO. I will stand in line/deal with crowds for good food and I don't think those places offer the best food.

If you're up for braving crowds, I'd recommend an afternoon wandering the Ferry Building, where you can grab oysters and champagne at Hog Island (get a table outside facing the Bay!), local cheese from Cowgirl Creamery, charcuterie from Boccalone, a sourdough baguette from Acme Breads, etc. There are also some "old-school" San Francisco institutions like Swan Oyster Depot or Tadich Grill (both known for seafood) that will be crowded with lines but offer pretty good food with local "flavor."

Have fun!

citymama is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Fun fun fun! What month will you be here and what kind of cuisine do you like? We'll find you some great restaurants!

For all around high quality Californian cuisine, Delfina and Foreign Cinema in the Mission are two of my absolute favorites. Reservations aren't easy so call ASAP!

for Sandy Hook

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DH and I enjoy the deYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park. Go up to the observation deck for views if not foggy. See website for exhibits at the time of your visit. http://www.famsf.org/ They have a sister museum called the Legion of Honor, same website to check their exhibits.

Next to the deYoung is the Japanese Tea Garden.

There's a new exhibit at California Academy of Science about coral reefs if that is of interest (across from the deYoung). They also have a planetarium and rain forest inside the Academy of Science.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Thanks for the advice!

Has anyone done a food tour? I've wanted to do one for a while and think this might be our only chance.

I've been looking into some of the restaurants suggested. I definitely plan to make reservations ahead.

We don't eat seafood or drink alcohol so I'm trying to figure out what restaurants and tours would be best knowing that. We like most other food though.

Also, we are thinking of taking the ferry to Sausalito, but don't know much about what's there. Would that be a waste of a day?

avd3875 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bw52 View Post

Also, we are thinking of taking the ferry to Sausalito, but don't know much about what's there. Would that be a waste of a day?
    I've lived in SF all my life, and have been to Sausalito less than a handful of times. DH and I just spent a night there, and it was lovely. The downtown area (Bridgeway) is flat and nice to walk through - lots of little shops which all close by 6:00. We had our car, so we drove up through the hilly residential areas, and then hit the Marin Headlands. The Marine Mammal Center is fun to visit (we only stayed about 20 minutes, as we didn't want to explore too much without the kids), and then we drove along the Coastal Route of the Headlands. The views are amazing. However, if it is foggy the Headlands will be cold and wet, and there will be no view at all.

I haven't been to Alcatraz in over 20 years, but I remember that it was fascinating, but involves a lot of walking. If you're considering it, make reservations early - it sells out weeks in advance.

As for restaurants, I'm a fairly picky eater, so I stick with my favorites (which aren't terribly exciting). When we've gone out for kid-free dinners we usually go to Original Joe's in North Beach. My parents love Scoma's (one in SF, one in Sausalito) for seafood.

The weather is nice right now, but typically summer is cold and foggy, so pack some long sleeves. Also, not to make SF sound awful, but the number of car break-ins is steadily rising. It is mostly touristy areas that are being hit, so be sure not to leave anything in your car.

I hope you have a wonderful time in SF.
    Annemarie
    DS 2003
    DD 2009