Thread: NICU questions

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default NICU questions

So I ended up unexpectedly delivering on Thursday at 34 weeks. Went in for what I thought was a possibly infection that I had been getting on and off and turned out I was contracting and dilating. Bc I was past the 34 week point, they didn't stop the labor and turns out it was a good thing bc I had a small placenta abruption that might have gotten worse.

Anyone our little one is doing ok but is in the NICU and will be for a week or two. I head home today or tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out how this will work with the 2 big kids at home and the baby here. She hasn't started eating yet, but they are hoping soon...

For those of you who had NICU babies and kids at home, how did it work with coming to see them/feed them after you left the hospital??

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No BTDT, but I'm glad she and you are both OK!! Congrats!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Congratulations and glad you went in when you did! Nicu nurses and doctors are extraordinary. You are in good hands. Make sure to get a hospital grade pump delivered to your house. The nicu can write a script and it should be covered on your insurance. It is just a rental. My DD1 was still little, 27 months, so that helped I think because she had no concept of time. She was also in full time daycare and we kept her there during the day. So during the day from 6am until 8/9pm I was at the hospital. DH was with DD1 when she was home and at the hospital or doing needed errands when she was at school. My mom was charged with doing stuff for me or sitting with me if DH wasn't there. I think a few days in DH said DD1 needed me so I went home a bit earlier one night so I could have dinner with her and put her to bed. In general though, DH took big kid and I took the baby. Good luck. It is a blur and distant memory 2.5 years later.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Congratulations! if you have time/energy, dont forget to post a pic no btdt but just wanted to offer
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

No BTDT but wanted to say Congrats on your new little one.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Congrats! My twins were born at 34 weeks and I also had a 4yr old and 6 yr old at that time. 1 twin was in the hospital for 10 days and 1 for 14 days. My mother in law and mom took turns coming to help with the older girls. DH would drive me to the hospital early every morning and then go into work for a couple of hrs. He would return around lunch and we would spend the rest of the day there together. Head home to have dinner with the girls and then go back in the evening. We were thankful to live close to the hospital. We had excellent nurses and drs. I second getting a good pump. I pump and they stored my milk for the babies. My twins just turned 7 last week. Hard to believe that was 7 yrs ago.
    Melissa

Mom to Emma (4/03), Kate (7/05), Sam and Claire (6/09)

Congratulations! I am so so glad you went and got checked out and she arrived safely. Placental abruptions are scary stuff.

I don't remember this, but I was about 3, my sister 1.5, when our brother was born at 29 weeks. My dad would go see him in the NICU in the mornings while my mom got us ready and went to work (she waited to take maternity leave until he was home b/c they couldn't afford for her not to work indefinitely), then my mom would go spend the evenings in the hospital. He was in the NICU for over a month and we definitely aren't scarred from it. I'm sure it will be hard but your bigger kids will be okay! I hope your baby does great and gets to go home very soon.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

sdjeppa is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Congrats! DS2 was born at 33 weeks, and DS1 was 6 yrs old. 3 weeks in the NICU. DS2 was still in school, so that helped, but between my husband and my parents, I was able to be at the hospital for most of the daytime feeding times. It's hard, but you make it work!