Default Books on Adolescent Brain Development/Normal Growth

DS is starting to hit full fledge teen attitude and DD is not far behind. I spend my days being frustrated and annoyed by the attitude and the ingratitude. If I think about it, I wasn't exactly a grateful person as a teen either...... I think what would help me is some book sort of like the Female Brain book that I read when I was pregnant--it talked about the brain through all stages of a woman's life and it let me know that I was not crazy, that my brain was pruning parts in order to forge new pathways (which meant I wandered around like somebody who was getting senile).

So I don't need a book about how adolescents love risk, etc. This is more--what part of the being a jerk is normal. (same thing as when they were 3 and I thought I would run screaming into the night....) If I can get a good grounding on the boundaries of normal, it will help me overlook somethings, teach others, and hold the line when they step over it.

sigh.......
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Default Books on Adolescent Brain Development/Normal Growth

How about "The Whole Brain Child"? Not specific to teen brains but very interesting/helpful. Also "The Teenage Brain" - I haven't read it but it looks promising.
    Last edited by Meatball Mommie; 06-12-2016 at 09:58 PM.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

mattiew is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

"Middle School Makeover: Improving the Way You and Your Child Experience the Middle School Years" by Michelle Icard
    It was recommended to me by a friend and I keep recommending it as well. Great book that helps you keep this time of HUGE development in perspective; the first portion of the book is exactly what you are looking for....their brains go on a break!!!

This has lots of good info as well. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/fi...teenage-brain/ . DD1 will be 14 in early november and thank god i think we're finally turning a bit of a corner but the sass has been epic. I love to respond with " I love you too ." She has nothing to come back at that with. LOl.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's funny you mention that it's like when they were 3, because that's EXACTLY what it is--another toddlerhood. They want to be independent and "do it myself" but also need parents there for backup. Remember--you survived it then, you'll get through it now!
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Following this thread!

for Sandy Hook