Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Corie is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Okay, am I the only one worried about them bringing fleas to your house? I just googled it and fleas can travel from house to house. The fleas
    can be on your ILs clothing and in their possessions that they bring with them. No way would I allow them to stay in my house!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Last minute notice + fleas = hotel in my book!

Is your DH ok with all this?
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Am I the only one who thinks you should check into a hotel and "be away on a business trip" for the duration of their stay?
    DS 2/09

tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

oh, wow, I hadn't thought about fleas traveling... Luckily it hasn't happened and they visit about 2-3 times a year. They did try to bring a dog once (when they were coming to "help" with the new baby a couple of years ago). That was a straight up nope!

And with this pregnancy, mil asked if fmla was allowed for her to help with the new baby in December. That was also a straight up nope (even before I double checked the FMLA laws). I couldn't imagine 12 weeks. They treat my place like a B&B and really rarely help. It's a three steps backward one step forward kind of thing.

I am always cleaning up after them. This trip, I am going to see how brown my kitchen floors turn with all their coffee spills instead of always cleaning it. I will continue to clean everything else, but just for fun, I want to see how much coffee is spilled.

Hotels, as awesome as they sound (and I now get to insist on when we visit them) are not an option.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Bless you for even considering this. MY gut reaction would be, "Nope, sorry, we have too much going on right now to have houseguests. We can certainly meet you for dinner somewhere tonight, but that's all we'll have time for at the moment." Maybe add "I wish you had given us more notice, perhaps we could have worked something out..." in the hopes of getting them to improve.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree... you are way nicer then I am. But I totally understand the passive aggressive comments. My mil loves to imply we only clean when she comes and live in filth the rest of the time. She is always saying how nice it is that I cleaned up for her... um, no, this is my normal house.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You have my complete sympathy. My ILs roll in 10 or 11 times a year (yes, you read that right), but they were threatened early on about what the consequences would be if they failed to preplan by at least a week or two.

Good luck!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2