Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would never do this because I am pretty sure our family dynamic would implode, but I realize it would be perfectly acceptable for lots of families. With the identical twin thing, even taking one kid out for ice cream is more trouble than it's worth.

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

ITA agree with this. My girls are 9 and 12 and my 9 year old would never get over it if I took just her sister to Disney. Never. She would be crushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I'm sorry, but there's NO WAY I'd take only one child to Disney. It's not a movie and ice cream! It's a big deal trip. What you absolutely could do is plan a family Disney trip and have special one-on-one time with each child while there, even a full day of one-on-one. For our family, though, Disney is just too special a trip. There isn't another trip that would compare. The only way I could see that working is if each child can get a trip of equivalent value at that age-- like a family tradition that each kid gets a trip with Mom when s/he turns x age. If they each choose Disney, so be it. Even with that plan, though, I can't see the other kids not feeling resentful. I wouldn't do it. I'd go as a family and have one-on-one time with each child while there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Opinions please: Only taking one kid

I don't understand why it doesn't work for each family to have a special trip with each kid. That just seems very fair to me. Everyone should be allowed to have special events and memories. Eta- I mean, I "get it" but I wouldnt cater to the complaints especially when a fair opportunity awaits.

Eta- in our family, ds2 has been looking forward to his solo trip. He might have been salty when we went but now is really excited about his trip.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 07-15-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Unless you plan to take each of your kids to Disney on their own, and have a timeline for doing so (13th birthday or something) there is no way I would do this. I am all for special trips, and did one with my oldest in February, but the other two know they will also get a turn, and when.
    Green Tea, mom to three

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think solo trips could work and would love to do something special with each of mine, but for our family, I don't think there is anyway it would work with disney. We have been several times as a family and while we do some separate things, it is very much a "family " trip. Thhey would both be devastated if only one went. I don't even think the one going would like it as much.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It depends if your family is used to doing solo trips or not. We only do family trips so that would never be something I would myself even want to do. When I'm gone I miss my dog like crazy and can't imagine leaving one of my kiddos.

Did you decide? I vaguely remembered seeing this thread, but then just this week I've gone from thinking about to completely booking a trip for just DD and I.

Her two older brothers are going skiing with DH in February. I was debating being good and visiting my brother and family (niece and nephew are close in age to DD), but then decided we should do something fun. So we're going to WDW. Just the two of us. We went in February 2015 as a family (including extended family) and the boys had gone three years before when DD was 18 months and stayed with Grandma.

We've done a few other solo trips. DS1 has had two ski trips with just DH. DH has taken combination of kids camping. We're not telling them any of this is happening until at least Christmas, so we'll see how it goes. The boys do know we have plans to go back to Florida in a couple of years for Universal and the Star Wars stuff at Studios.

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    Did you decide? I vaguely remembered seeing this thread, but then just this week I've gone from thinking about to completely booking a trip for just DD and I.

Her two older brothers are going skiing with DH in February. I was debating being good and visiting my brother and family (niece and nephew are close in age to DD), but then decided we should do something fun. So we're going to WDW. Just the two of us. We went in February 2015 as a family (including extended family) and the boys had gone three years before when DD was 18 months and stayed with Grandma.

We've done a few other solo trips. DS1 has had two ski trips with just DH. DH has taken combination of kids camping. We're not telling them any of this is happening until at least Christmas, so we'll see how it goes. The boys do know we have plans to go back to Florida in a couple of years for Universal and the Star Wars stuff at Studios.
    I think I'm going to do it. It came up originally because I want to go again, but DS doesn't. I really want a vacation for myself and it would be super fun to take DD1 on my own. I don't think DS would mind since we just went and he's not really interested in going again. DD2 is too young to be a factor in the decision, IMO. I'm thinking we may go around Christmas. We'll see!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Quote Originally Posted by megs4413 View Post
    I think I'm going to do it. It came up originally because I want to go again, but DS doesn't. I really want a vacation for myself and it would be super fun to take DD1 on my own. I don't think DS would mind since we just went and he's not really interested in going again. DD2 is too young to be a factor in the decision, IMO. I'm thinking we may go around Christmas. We'll see!
    If your son really doesn't want to go, then take your DD and have a great time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by megs4413 View Post
    Enjoy! Hope it works out for you. This will be our shortest trip with just 4 nights and 3 1/2 days at the parks. Should be just right to focus on the things I know she'll enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2