Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help me with this stroller situation--what to take for my two kids

So the last time we went to Disney DH was annoyed that our eldest wanted to sit in the stroller most of the time (he was 4) and says he should be walking as much as possible this time around, but there is such a lot of walking at Disney and I know my eldest will tire out and get cranky and want us to hold him, etc etc, and I'm not dealing with that! I told him I want two strollers this time, one for the eldest (almost 6) and one for the baby. I don't want a double stroller, and DH really doesn't want us buying a new stroller (and our other one at home doesn't have a great canopy or ride real well), so we are thinking of renting one in FL and having it delivered to our Disney hotel. Tell me if you think this will work--I was hoping to rent a City Mini GT, and mostly use it for the toddler (who will be almost 2 when we go to Disney, and definitely still napping so we hope he'll nap in there). Then I wanted to buy a cheap (costco brand?) umbrella stroller that would hopefully hang on the back or fit under the stroller, only to have that in cases where the toddler is awake and the eldest is complaining about walking (so then I'd push the baby in the costco stroller and let the eldest sit in the city mini). Do you think that will work, or must I bring two decent size strollers? I am going to need room under the stroller for some other items (extra diapers, extra set of clothes for theyoungest at least, snacks, etc). I also wasn't sure if you could hang a cheapo umbrella stroller on the handlbars of the city mini GT or if it would tip. Any thoughts? Thanks!

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Could you use a baby carrier for the one year old?
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

How long until you go? I'd start trying to get your big kid up for the task of walking. Otherwise, I'd only use the stroller as a last resort for him and do a baby carrier for the little one when big kid really and truly needs the stroller.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you have a BOB? How big is your oldest?
    Based on recs here we took a single BOB with a 2.5 and 5 year old. The older child occasionally hitched a ride on the front wheel well, mostly when we were trying to book it into the park in the morning or leaving the parks at night. It was a little harder to push that way but still much much easier than hauling a double stroller or a second stroller.

On our last trip DD was almost 4, and DS was 7. We run ourselves ragged at Disney (at the parks before rope drop and back after fireworks), and DD can be demanding about wanting to be carried at the best of times, so I knew I wanted a stroller for her. I also thought DS would be jealous that he was tired, too, and had no seat. Our plan was similar to yours. We planned to bring our G-luxe and get a cheapo umbrella just in case, but we ended up bringing our Vista with the running board. It was perfect!!! The running board was enough to give DS a little break when he was tired, and having just the one stroller was so easy. Do you have an option like that? I do feel that trying to manage two strollers would have been untenable. I'm pretty sure we would have ended up leaving the cheapo umbrella behind at the hotel and then regretting it. Another option would be renting something like a BOB where the older kid could balance over the front wheel when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know you aren't looking to buy another, but the the perfect stroller at that age was my Peg Perego P3 single because it had the step on the back wheels for an extra kid to stand on. I liked being able to put the extra kid on there even when they were fine walking but we needed to get somewhere quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My kids were 4, 5 and 8 the last time went to WDW. We ended up renting a BJ City Mini GT Double as we had done on our previous trip when our kids were 2, 4 and 7. Our first trip they were 1.5, 2.5 and 5 and we brought our own City Mini Double and a Chico Single Umbrella stroller (but we rarely used it). When they were younger I also brought a carrier for my youngest in case the oldest wanted to ride in the stroller, which he did late at night or while waiting for parades and fireworks. I felt like we could have gotten away with a singe stroller with some sort of step on our last trip, but also liked being able to contain the younger two in seats in large crowds. Honestly the last trip the stroller spent most of the time parked somewhere, so I never felt like it was any more of a problem to have a double vs a single. If I were you I would bring a carrier and a single stroller, not two single strollers. I'd much rather wear a two year old than push a cheap umbrella stroller and you can wear the two year old in lines, but you can't bring a stroller.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I like the idea of a running board. I think 2 strollers could be a pain. I would not use a carrier for the baby...way too hot!

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you are planning to be out and about in the parks all day and into the evening for dinner/parades/fireworks, then I would just rent the double. It is a ton of walking (DH and I wore our fitbits last time and walked more than 10 miles most days) and its hard for little ones to keep up especially in the heat! I loved having the double with our kids when they were 4 and 6 bc we could move quickly through crowds, they could drink water/snack on the go, have a seat for fireworks and parades and we could park it when we were doing a bunch of rides in one area and have them walk then. On the other hand if you are planning to just do the mornings, then rest/swim at the pool etc., I could see a single working and having the 6 year old walk more. The two strollers sound cumbersome, unless you plan to park and leave the umbrella stroller a lot. Hanging it from the handlebars sounds like a pain- the double stroller sounds easier! If you really don't want the double, i would be more likely to do a single and a baby carrier depending on when you are going and how hot it will be.

Thanks, everyone! You have given me a lot to think about. I'll look into those strollers you mentioned with the options for the older kids to hang on. From the front? I can't even picture it. lol. So the city mint GT on the rental site does have the option to add something similar--a glider board on the back--and I only hesitated because the reviews of those on Amazon seem pretty bad. They say it makes it very hard to push ESP with older children. My eldest is almost 6, and I think he's at least 34 pounds now and 44 inches tall. We definitely plan to have him try to walk as much as possible...though the idea of kids renting a double city mini GT now is tempting. I just assumed pushing s double through those crowds would be super annoying?! Do they even fit through doors/etc when u need them to?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast