gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Coincidence? Question about bacterial vaginosis (sorry TMI)

For the 3rd time in 6 months I have bacterial vaginosis. I've only had it 4 times in my life. I have read and doctors have told me that it occurs when my Ph gets unbalanced as a result of dh's sperm being more Basic and upsetting the acidic state my vagina needs to stay in. However, each time I got BV it was like 2 weeks after intercourse (not much action happening here lately due to DH's traveling and our kids' irregular summer sleep schedules). So I just don't think I'm getting it from Dh.

The weird thing is this- my maid was just telling me she also has had BV 3 times in the last 6 months. She assumed she was getting it from her boyfriend. But is it possible there is some connection between us? She cleans the house for us once a week. Is it possible to pass the bacteria that cause this from just touching the same surfaces? Or maybe there is something in my house that causes both our Ph levels to become unbalanced? Or is this purely coincidence? Anyone have any idea?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it's likely that it's not getting fully cleared up so it's really a recurring single infection, not 3 separate infections. Have you tried more than one kind of treatment? Are you also prone to yeast infections?

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quite a while ago, I had the same situation. It seemed that DH and I needed to both be treated with oral medication. After that, I didn't have any reoccurrence.

Has the doctor done a culture to make sure it's BV? One of my friends found out about her husband's affair thanks to something that seemed to be BV but turned out to be an STD.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    Has the doctor done a culture to make sure it's BV? One of my friends found out about her husband's affair thanks to something that seemed to be BV but turned out to be an STD.
    I just got the results of my tests this morning. It is definitely BV. I would have been totally shocked if Dh had been unfaithful but I had all the tests done anyway. Just BV. I did remember something my Gynecologist recommended the first time I had this 15 years ago. I had completely forgotten that he recommended I fill empty gel capsules with boric acid powder and use them as vaginal suppositories. It totally worked! I have antibiotics this time but next time I'm going to try the boric acid powder capsules again and save myself a trip to the doctor.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.