AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Update #7: Comfy shorts that aren't Bermuda length!

I can't do Bermuda length shorts at all because it puts way too much focus on my hips and thighs. I am 5'6" and my problem areas are my hips and thighs. I have 32" legs. I am looking at the Lucy Destination Anywhere shorts, but am wondering if there is anything else out there. I also ordered a pair of Trekkie shorts from Athleta, but I am afraid they might be a little tight. I also ordered some Colorado Clothing Skorts, but would still like some more shorts.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-09-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm loving the Boden Richmond shorts. They come in 3 different lengths. Super nice quality and the first things I've ever bought from them. I liked them so much I ended up getting 5 pairs (on sale and with a coupon code of course)!!!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Athleta has tons of shorts on their sale page. Including cotton and linen (example below) and you can't go wrong with free shipping/returns.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=213000012

They also have a non-bermuda version of the trekkie short I think. I own 2 pairs of the trekkie bermudas and love them but they work for my body.

I also recently got these from Athleta and if you're OK with going shorter and just need an out-and-about short, they are the comfiest things EVER. I found myself washing and re-wearing them at Disneyland, choosing them over my other shorts. They do have a built-in brief but it's very breathable and very nice in hot weather. They come in solids and prints.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=438875142

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I normally hate shorts, and dislike bermuda length for the same reason as you. But I bought a pair of shorts from the Gap Factory this Spring, and they have been really great! The opening is wide enough that it doesn't cut into my thighs when I sit down (too much). They are these:

http://www.gapfactory.com/browse/pro...&pid=158749101
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Thanks all!

I ordered a few pairs in 4" and 6" of the Raymond shorts and even on a whim ordered a pair of 9" ones just in case.

I also ordered the ready set short (in two sizes), the linen short, and the organic classic short.

In my Gap order I also ordered the summer shorts, which look similar to the Gap shorts linked above.

Now I just hope everything arrives before 8/13 when we go on our trip. I did splurge for 3-5 day shipping on the orders because both Gap and Boden are notoriously slow with shipping.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Try hiking shorts. I have some Columbia and White Sierra shorts that I really like.

Here is my update:
    Misses:
    Gap Summer short in 14 (runs small)
    Athleta Organic cotton shorts in 14 (runs small)
    Athleta Ready Set short in large (this almost worked, but the legs were a little tight)
    Boden Raymond shorts: the 4" short in a 12 were almost perfect especially if they had belt loops. The 6" were too long and the 9" were way too long.
    Athleta linen short (ran small)
    Colorado Clothing Skorts (ran a good size small; exchanged for the XL....hope they arrive by Friday!)

Hits:
    Athleta Ready Set short in XL (got the fuschia color)
    Athleta Metro shorts*
    Athleta Trekkie shorts*

*I am almost thinking of returning the Metro, and Trekkie shorts for the XL to get a little more room in the leg. I don't want to not be happy with shorts I paid $44, and $54 for. The waist fits fine, but if they are sized like the ready set short the waist is almost identical in the large and XL and the only difference is the fit in the legs.

I went to REI on Saturday an had no luck with their brand of hiking shorts they were way too long on me. I didn't see any Columbia ones in my size.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-09-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Glad some of these things worked! I've found Athleta sizing to be somewhat inconsistent - definitely buy the other sizes that you think might work and take advantage of their generous return policy.