essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Can any Miele canister vac handle shag throw rugs?

So our cheapo canister vac died today and I'd like to get a better one. We have hardwood floors throughout the entire house, but have 3 shag throw rugs in the bedrooms. I've had my eye on the Miele canister vacs, but not sure if any of the models or one of their attachments could handle shag rugs. Does anyone know or have any experience?

These are the rugs we have, so pretty high pile: https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs...SHG1-3205.html
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Miele will be awesome on the hardwood. Probably you will want to run the shag rugs on a very low setting, but I would think it would work. I don't have any shag rugs but we have carpet and other area rugs and it works fine on those.

Honestly, I'd bring in the smallest of the rugs and test it out in store. It's a big investment, you might as well test it out. The store I have bought our Mieles from is a small local business and the owner would totally let me do that if I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    Honestly, I'd bring in the smallest of the rugs and test it out in store. It's a big investment, you might as well test it out. The store I have bought our Mieles from is a small local business and the owner would totally let me do that if I wanted.
    The smallest is an 8x10 rug and is under furniture so I don't think that would work lol!

Ooo, ooo, ooo looks like Miele just came out with a new "soft carpet" canister vacuum for shag rugs just this month! This may be exactly what I need!

http://www.mieleusa.com/m/miele-intr...vacuum-990.htm

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Ooo, ooo, ooo looks like Miele just came out with a new "soft carpet" canister vacuum for shag rugs just this month! This may be exactly what I need!

http://www.mieleusa.com/m/miele-intr...vacuum-990.htm
    It is $1500! You have to be able to have another cheaper alternative. I have a Dyson I bought for $450 (DC-14 All Floors bundle from Costco that sold elsewhere for about $550-$600 iirc) and I can't fathom spending 3x that just so it will work on shag rugs that you paid less than $500 a piece for. If they were wool shag and crazy expensive maybe I would consider that, but in general I would not pay that much for a vacuum! I had a hard time wanting to spend $850 or something on the top upright Miele in 2007 which is why I went with Dyson. Our house is all hardwood floors as well except for area rugs and the Dyson does great on them with the hardwood floor attachment.

https://www.amazon.com/Miele-Complet.../dp/B00R43I4I6
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-04-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    It is $1500! You have to be able to have another cheaper alternative. I have a Dyson I bought for $450 (DC-14 All Floors bundle from Costco that sold elsewhere for about $550-$600 iirc) and I can't fathom spending 3x that just so it will work on shag rugs that you paid less than $500 a piece for. If they were wool shag and crazy expensive maybe I would consider that, but in general I would not pay that much for a vacuum! I had a hard time wanting to spend $850 or something on the top upright Miele in 2007 which is why I went with Dyson. Our house is all hardwood floors as well except for area rugs and the Dyson does great on them with the hardwood floor attachment.

https://www.amazon.com/Miele-Complet.../dp/B00R43I4I6
    It's actually $799 and I actually have a hard time swallowing that price, but if it will last for over a decade then maybe it's worth it? I've already bought 2 Bissell Cleanview upright vacuums, a cheap canister vac, a stick vac, and a carpet cleaner in the last decade for probably the same total price so maybe I should have just gone with the more expensive vacuum in the first place and ended up saving money! Kind of how we finally got a Bosch dishwasher instead of going cheapo like always. I haven't pulled the trigger yet though. I'll have some Amazon credits to use and will also get $24 in Amazon rewards so that will bring the price down as well. And no tax.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Oops! Linked the wrong one I guess. Miele's do last a long time from what I understand. You would save a bundle without having to pay tax on it. Good luck making a choice.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)