Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How to get smells out of clothes that have been in storage

Hello everyone,
    Most of my clothes and other fabric items like linens, have been in storage for about 4 months. We are now unpacking and the smell is terrible. They smell like they have been stored for years, not months. I tried googling ideas to get the smell out and saw that it may be mold? The suggestions for getting rid of the smell are vinegar or borax however many people are posting and saying that it doesn't work. Does anyone have any idea what this smell is and suggestions for getting rid of it. I now have the smelly stuff in my closet with my things that were not stored and am worried the stink is going to spread!
    TIA

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would wash it all before putting it away. In hot water with vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. Hang in the sun to dry, if possible. I would also use bac-out in the washer to help with the smell. Clothes can get like this in our basement unless they are sealed in vacuum bags. I also wash clothes I buy in thrift stores this way.
    DS 2/09

Wash in hot water with a HUGE scoop of Oxiclean, and a good amount of Tide with Fabreeze.

We had old, musty closets at our old house. Ventilation was completely non-existent. Generally, a good wash with the above combo was all that was needed.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    I would wash it all before putting it away. In hot water with vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. Hang in the sun to dry, if possible. I would also use bac-out in the washer to help with the smell. Clothes can get like this in our basement unless they are sealed in vacuum bags. I also wash clothes I buy in thrift stores this way.
    In looking through the first batch of clothes, most of them are dry clean only. Not sure what to do about that.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hang them out on a dry sunny day.
    DS 2/09

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post

+1 for this post. Hot water and vinegar is the key.