Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I've been finding empty boxes. In our living room that we don't use, there's a very nice armoire - on top of it for YEARS has been some small boxes and rolled up posters (yes, in my living room). I pulled them down today and the boxes are EMPTY - OK, one box had 3 Christmas crackers - that I tossed as when we host Christmas next, I'll need more than 3 and I'll want them to coordinate. One box had a deflated exercise ball in it - that should be in the garage. The posters I recycled. It's just ridiculous the amount of junk that we're holding on, that we NEVER use.

Next on my hit list is our bedroom. I will not do DH's closet or his side table, but I'll clean up my closet and dresser drawers. Pretty sure I could donate 4/5 of my wardrobe - it either is too small or WAY out of fashion. Actually, I think I'm going to do this. Toss most of it as it just doesn't get used.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you don't wear it... pass it on!!
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I'm.DONE.DONE.DONE with the junk.
    Sing it sister! I am right there with you down to the cooperative DS and the "but maybe" DH. I want to scream/cry every time I walk into the house.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I've been on a delcutter spree. DS goes back to school tomorrow and I go back to work in a week and I could no longer deal with the state of the house. Much to DH and DS's dislike, I'm being a drill sergeant as we sort through things. I have a CRV, so not a huge SUV, but I've filled it up twice in the last week. It's outgrown clothes, toys, things we haven't used since moving into the house 11 years ago (e.g. fondue set given as wedding present). I have a bankers box of paperwork to take to be shredded and have recycled bags of papers. And we're not finished yet. We haven't even started on our bedroom which is often the dumping ground for things. DS has been good about sorting through things and agrees we need to keep things cleaner so we don't have to do this again (remains to be seen how much he'll keep clean without reminders), but DH has more difficult time to let things go. If I hear "maybe we would use this", it goes in donate pile. We have to use it now or have definite plan for use in future. This "maybe" means we hold on to things that we have NO use for and it just gets in way of things we do use. I'm.DONE.DONE.DONE with the junk.
    DH always keep things and I don't so i can't ask him to help me declutter lol. I do it when he's not home

DH always keeps things he has a hoarding problem so i can't ask him to help me declutter otherwise we'll ending keeping all of them lol i do it when he's not home.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TraceyMann View Post
    DH always keeps things he has a hoarding problem so i can't ask him to help me declutter otherwise we'll ending keeping all of them lol i do it when he's not home.
    This is DH too. I did have a success. We had to bring many things in from the garage as having work done in there. There's a box of original source footage DH shot of his sister's wedding nearly 20 years ago. He edited the wedding video and she has that, this is ALL the footage and it's not on regular size VHS tapes. He has moved it from house to house in all that time. It's not a huge box, but it's not ours and we have enough junk. It's also been store in an unheated/airconditioned garage, so it may not even been in good shape anymore. I've asked to send it to her before and DH feels that he should be a good brother and put it on to DVD for her, but it's still sitting in our garage. I had DH ask his sister if she wanted it, and she and MIL seemed to guilt DH into converting the tapes. Like he has the time, nor do I think we should have to pay to have them converted to DVD. It's not our freaking wedding. I asked DH if *I* could send her the box, and he agreed. So I'm going to stick a note in there saying "Hey, I found these when *I* was cleaning up the garage and thought you should have them. " And DH said if his sister or mother ask him why they were sent, he'll tell them that it's not his wedding video so his sister should have them and decide what to do with them. Progress...now if the roller blades and bowling ball that I've never seen DH use in 13 years could find a new home...

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Anyone up for a new KonMari thread? I was doing really well for a while but got completely derailed by last pregnancy/baby.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would love a KonMari thread to motivate me! I'm contemplating downsizing and I don't want to pack or bring excess into my new home!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just found about 6 empty plastic storage totes in the past two days.

And two ancient and disgusting pillows.

And ... ew.

Yeah, there's a lot of cleaning happening around here now that DD is in school for a full day.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just found about 6 empty plastic storage totes in the past two days.

And two ancient and disgusting pillows.

And ... ew.

Yeah, there's a lot of cleaning happening around here now that DD is in school for a full day.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2