Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default OMG, we have so much junk

I've been on a delcutter spree. DS goes back to school tomorrow and I go back to work in a week and I could no longer deal with the state of the house. Much to DH and DS's dislike, I'm being a drill sergeant as we sort through things. I have a CRV, so not a huge SUV, but I've filled it up twice in the last week. It's outgrown clothes, toys, things we haven't used since moving into the house 11 years ago (e.g. fondue set given as wedding present). I have a bankers box of paperwork to take to be shredded and have recycled bags of papers. And we're not finished yet. We haven't even started on our bedroom which is often the dumping ground for things. DS has been good about sorting through things and agrees we need to keep things cleaner so we don't have to do this again (remains to be seen how much he'll keep clean without reminders), but DH has more difficult time to let things go. If I hear "maybe we would use this", it goes in donate pile. We have to use it now or have definite plan for use in future. This "maybe" means we hold on to things that we have NO use for and it just gets in way of things we do use. I'm.DONE.DONE.DONE with the junk.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I've been on a delcutter spree. DS goes back to school tomorrow and I go back to work in a week and I could no longer deal with the state of the house. Much to DH and DS's dislike, I'm being a drill sergeant as we sort through things. I have a CRV, so not a huge SUV, but I've filled it up twice in the last week. It's outgrown clothes, toys, things we haven't used since moving into the house 11 years ago (e.g. fondue set given as wedding present). I have a bankers box of paperwork to take to be shredded and have recycled bags of papers. And we're not finished yet. We haven't even started on our bedroom which is often the dumping ground for things. DS has been good about sorting through things and agrees we need to keep things cleaner so we don't have to do this again (remains to be seen how much he'll keep clean without reminders), but DH has more difficult time to let things go. If I hear "maybe we would use this", it goes in donate pile. We have to use it now or have definite plan for use in future. This "maybe" means we hold on to things that we have NO use for and it just gets in way of things we do use. I'm.DONE.DONE.DONE with the junk.
    Just wanted to log in to say, "Good for you!!" Doesn't it lift a HUGE weight off your chest? I went through a huge purging phase in November and again in April. DH and I filled up my minivan and his SUV 2-3 times each of us with boxes of toys, clothes, and baby stuff. I felt so good that the night afterward I had a wonderful, heavy sleep. On a much smaller scale I plan to go through my kitchen pantry this fall. And I'd like to weed through some seasonal decorations but most of the hardest cleaning is done.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We need to do this again...and again...and again!

I finally signed up for a mom2mom sale at the end of September. I'm hoping to start soon and pack things into boxes to get ready for it. We have tons.

Good luck. It'll be worth it when it is done!
    Kris

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am frustrated that I am having to do this again, clearly the problem is incoming stuff. I am enjoying our space more and more though which is nice considering there is so little of it (space, I mean).

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Im planning to really get going on this when DC start school 9/7. We have family coming for the holidays and I really want to know that they can open any door, drawer or cabinet and not find hidden junk. I need to shed 20 lbs too so it's going to be a busy fall for me!

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My midwife asked if I'm nesting, and I said only if you count decluttering! I have all the baby stuff from the older boys, but between breaking wrist in jan and this pregnancy, out house has been a wreck. I think I've made ten trips to goodwill this summer and now I have a few pieces of furniture to put on Craig's list . It feels so good to be making progress!!
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just found a plastic bag with two ratty blankets in it.

Ratty, irreparably holey blankets.

HOLY CARP, WHY DID WE KEEP THESE???????????

Trash day is Thursday; they will be in a large trash bag then.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Yes, the issue will be the incoming stuff. Sigh, have to figure that one out too.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I just found a plastic bag with two ratty blankets in it.

Ratty, irreparably holey blankets.

HOLY CARP, WHY DID WE KEEP THESE???????????

Trash day is Thursday; they will be in a large trash bag then.
    I do a lot of this. We have a pretty small house but our attic is fairly large. My bad habit is shoving random stuff up into the attic because I can't decide what should happen with it. Then the light went out in the attic (something with the connection, not the bulb), so I have been shoving stuff up by flashlight. It is a ridiculous mess up there, like epic dangerous disaster area. I'm not sure DH has actually seen it.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I do a lot of this. We have a pretty small house but our attic is fairly large. My bad habit is shoving random stuff up into the attic because I can't decide what should happen with it. Then the light went out in the attic (something with the connection, not the bulb), so I have been shoving stuff up by flashlight. It is a ridiculous mess up there, like epic dangerous disaster area. I'm not sure DH has actually seen it.
    I feel like we must've discussed it at the time, and the decision was made to keep them, but now I'm looking at the crap-pile on my upper landing with a critical eye (because I'd like to get someone in to check out the leak around our window) and realizing this stuff should've been tossed YEARS ago.

We don't exactly have an attic; we have a 3rd floor that's largely unusable due to its state as a clutter catch-all rather than our having planned out the use of the space before we started moving stuff up there. It's the worst.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast