MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ovarian cyst removal?

Has anyone ever had an ovarian cyst removed? They found one on my right ovary in Jan, double checked to make sure it was gone in March, which it was. However, a new one had formed on my left side and was much larger than the other. I just went back for my yearly and a checkup on the cyst. It's bigger and now filled with a blood clot. She said she feels at this size it's not likely to go away on it's own, but she felt there was a small chance because it looked like some of the blood was reabsorbing. So she decided to wait 8 more weeks. If it's still there I have to have surgery. She said it was outpatient surgery as long as they could use laparoscopy but we didn't talk about recovery or anything. Anyone been through this that could give me some advice/tips?

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had a bleeding ovarian cyst removed in 2013. It was the first one I had ever experienced and it hurt like the Dickens. I had no idea what was happening so I went to the ER, and after doing an ultrasound I was rushed into emergency surgery where they removed the cyst and drained 2 liters of blood from my abdomen. Recovery wasn't too bad, I was very light headed for a week after but that was due to blood loss more than anything. So, considering my past I wouldn't hesitate to have it removed.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I was scheduled to have an ovarian cyst removed last year, we had done multiple ultrasounds to confirm the size of the cyst. When the doctor went in, it turned out not to be a cyst after all, and that I had severe endometriosis instead. He couldn't do much since he wasn't given preauthorization so he basically took photos and closed up the incision. I don't recover well from anesthesia so I was pretty out of it for the rest of the day and had to use high doses of ibuprofen for a few days afterwards, but it wasn't a terrible recovery.