bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Magnetic paint--is this realistic?

I've seen pictures of a racetrack made with magnetic paint on the wall. Like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alinar...n/photostream/

I think its really cute and am tempted to make it but then I wondered about kids playing on it. If little kids drive cars along the wall is it going to look messed up--chipped paint, etc in no time? It would be for little kids, of course, so they can only be so gentle....

I've never used magnetic paint before? Any experience with it?

I've actually read a bunch of reviews on magnetic paint b/c I was thinking about it and most people say it is not very magnetic at all. Even if you use 4-5 coats. Just a word of warning

cheme is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mamabear4 View Post
    I've actually read a bunch of reviews on magnetic paint b/c I was thinking about it and most people say it is not very magnetic at all. Even if you use 4-5 coats. Just a word of warning

Yes, I agree. I never tried it, but a friend did and said it was never magnetic enough for what she wanted. Not sure what brand she used, but definitely read reviews on the paint you plan to get.

I did magnetic paint in my laundry room. It took several coats and the walls with the paint have a definitely texture different than the regular walls. The paint is quite dirty putting up. I painted a color over it, but I think it would be smearing without a top coat or sealant.

I did it to have a place (not my fridge) to put up kid art and school projects. I had to buy stronger magnets but it has worked well with those.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We used it on DS1's closet doors. It requires several coats, then we had to paint several coats of regular white paint over it (magnetic paint was black- not the look we were going for). Only super strong magnets would stick to it, but nothing heavy would stay on it. So not real successful for us, but that was 10 years ago so maybe the paint is better now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Baby Bargains mobile app

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

I did a wall in the playroom (painted by a painter, not by me). It takes many coats, and you must make sure the paint is very well-mixed. Basically, you're painting metal fragments onto your wall, so there have to be enough fragments to hold a magnet. The texture is definitely rough, so there's that. We've used it for an art gallery. I made frames for artwork that were basically all magnet, so there was a big surface area of magnet holding up a sheet of paper. It's worked fine. Regular magnets stick, but you need very strong magnets to hold something else up. I can't see that race car idea working well on a magnet wall unless the car was 2 dimensional and printed on a magnet sheet. A real matchbox car would probably be too heavy for a magnet wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for for replies. It seems like too much work for something that might not work in then end. This is what I needed. I didn't want to put so much effort into something that might not work.

I'm going to go with a regular racetrack design without worrying it being magnetic.

Thanks