Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Congratulations!!! Glad to hear everything is going well.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yay, congrats on your new little lady! And also good for you for knowing what was best for you and your baby and having the courage to do it even if it isn't the most popular. I'm a big BF advocate, but the reason I really care is that I want all new moms/parents to be able to make carefully thought out informed choices about how to feed their baby. It sounds like that's exactly what you did. Thank you for the update, and keep enjoying that little bundle!
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by Green22 View Post
    OP here, checking back and saying thank you for all the responses.

It turns out that the person who did the hospital tour for us must have really been pushing her own agenda, because the hospital was very accommodating. I got zero push back on not nursing (at all, not even immediately after birth), and they did have a nursery that the nurses regularly asked if we wanted to use.

Just in case anyone is in the same boat, when we went to the hospital, we tried the regular milk based formula. The hospital provided it. She was spitting up a ton, and before we left the hospital pediatrian put her on soy. We stayed on that for a good week, but still had really bad reflux symptoms. Our ped moved her to Elimentum and she has been a dream since then.

Not nursing was the right choice for me and her. I would have spent so much time trying to determine if/what foods I should eliminated, and I would have chalked a lot of the issues up to nursing or latching issues. I imagine I would have seen the lactation consultant and generally worried myself sick over it (as I did with the other 2). Right now I have a happy 7 week old who drinks every last but of her bottles, smiles constantly and sleeps for 5-6 hour stretches at night. A lot of this is just dumb luck and her personality, and I think a lot of it is her feeding off my happiness. Just adding this because I did feel like in some of the responses were nicely pushing for just trying to nurse, which I understand and was struggling with (having been an exclusive nursing mamma before). I pumped for the first 5 days and froze the milk, second guessing myself, and sobbed each time. The day I decided to stop, things changed for me and we're totally happy. So just a different perspective for those who might be in a similar situation.
    Congrats. I just don't really understand why you would have had to eliminate items from your diet before you had tried nursing with this baby or assumed latching and other issues. It was just so much easier by number 3 and bottles seem like a pain. But I'm pro choice for this too and relieved baby is happy with the formula now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I would nurse for any amount of time you can and grit it out. It was soooo incredibly hard with number one but had it down by number 3. No allergies in any and worth it. I can't imagine deciding not to nurse ahead of time barring life threatening issue. Good luck.

But why should OP have to to nurse any amount and grit it out? That was precisely the fear op felt in the pushback of her desire to NOT BF. Maybe her colostrum milk takes days or weeks to come in? What is she to do? That was my situation with DS1 and he actually lost some weight, not the typical newborn weight loss either. But in the malnourished category since he was only 7lbs and 8 oz at birth. I chose not to BF DS2 from the getgo and it was so much more pleasant for everyone, including DS2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default I do not want to nurse. How to handle at hospital and other questions.

Congrats. I just don't really understand why you would have had to eliminate items from your diet before you had tried nursing with this baby or assumed latching and other issues. It was just so much easier by number 3 and bottles seem like a pain. But I'm pro choice for this too and relieved baby is happy with the formula now.

because when you have a baby that spits up from birth that is what most peds. suggest a soy or dairy elimination diet before they even suggest meds or trying a hypo allergenic formula. I gave up dairy for three weeks (I knew I had a colicky spit up baby from 3 days old and she went on Zantac at three weeks old) and DD2 still spit up so the ped. said well it isn't dairy and prescribed Zantac which helped with the overall fussiness she had although nothing helped eliminate (although Similac Sensitive was the best formula once I weaned) the spit up until we tried the Playtex nursery bottles at 8 months old.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 12-11-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Maybe you aren't aware of how it reads when you say you're "relieved" that OP's choice resulted in a happy baby. Your experience with your third is not universal. And while bottles may have been a pain for you, they clearly are not a pain for millions of other women. (And in case you're wondering, I pumped for my twins while they were in the NICU for 10 weeks and breastfed as soon as they were physically able until they were 16 months.)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Maybe you aren't aware of how it reads when you say you're "relieved" that OP's choice resulted in a happy baby. Your experience with your third is not universal. And while bottles may have been a pain for you, they clearly are not a pain for millions of other women. (And in case you're wondering, I pumped for my twins while they were in the NICU for 10 weeks and breastfed as soon as they were physically able until they were 16 months.)
    I just said relieved since she had to go through a couple different types of formula. Relieved she found something that baby likes and works. And I did a stint pumping in the NICU and just found eventually being able to nurse so much easier than bottles. Pumping is hard, hard work and if I'd gone back to my office not sure how it would have worked though had the large stash since thought I would go back before calling an audible. Glad it worked out for the OP.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4