Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I hated nursing and was a complete wuss about telling them in the hospital that I had zero plans to nurse DS2. I sucked it up and did what they said until I could get home and start him on bottles. I admire you for wanting to make it clear from the start!
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also want to add, I had a pregnancy end at 20 weeks, and my milk still came in!!!! So even if you decide not to nurse at all, which is TOTALLY your choice, be prepared for your milk to come in. The cold cabbage leaves and wearing two tight sports bras or binding will be necessary (I even had to wear a bikini top in the shower as the water seemed to stimulate milk production).

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm chiming in a little late, but just wanted to address the question of which formula re: food allergies. All 3 of my kids were sensitive to dairy and soy as infants (terrible reflux in 2), plus food allergies in the form of one kid ana to peanuts and another with multple food issues but ana to nothing. I've done a mix of nursing and formula and one of my Dc needed one of those uber expensive hypoallergenic formulas in the end. So that's our background.
    Personally, I would start with a milk based sensitive formula if I were having another baby and wasn't planning to nurse and I would bring it with me to the hospital. IMO, its easier to start with the sensitive and then, if everything seems cool, to try a regular milk brand with a slightly older baby. I wouldn't want to do soy for my infant, if I could avoid it, although my older kids drink their share of soy milk.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

OP here, checking back and saying thank you for all the responses.

It turns out that the person who did the hospital tour for us must have really been pushing her own agenda, because the hospital was very accommodating. I got zero push back on not nursing (at all, not even immediately after birth), and they did have a nursery that the nurses regularly asked if we wanted to use.

Just in case anyone is in the same boat, when we went to the hospital, we tried the regular milk based formula. The hospital provided it. She was spitting up a ton, and before we left the hospital pediatrian put her on soy. We stayed on that for a good week, but still had really bad reflux symptoms. Our ped moved her to Elimentum and she has been a dream since then.

Not nursing was the right choice for me and her. I would have spent so much time trying to determine if/what foods I should eliminated, and I would have chalked a lot of the issues up to nursing or latching issues. I imagine I would have seen the lactation consultant and generally worried myself sick over it (as I did with the other 2). Right now I have a happy 7 week old who drinks every last but of her bottles, smiles constantly and sleeps for 5-6 hour stretches at night. A lot of this is just dumb luck and her personality, and I think a lot of it is her feeding off my happiness. Just adding this because I did feel like in some of the responses were nicely pushing for just trying to nurse, which I understand and was struggling with (having been an exclusive nursing mamma before). I pumped for the first 5 days and froze the milk, second guessing myself, and sobbed each time. The day I decided to stop, things changed for me and we're totally happy. So just a different perspective for those who might be in a similar situation.

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Congratulations! Glad things worked out so well for you!
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

So glad to hear things worked out well and you are able to enjoy your baby girl!!
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Congrats! Happy to hear everything worked out so well!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green22 View Post
    OP here, checking back and saying thank you for all the responses.

It turns out that the person who did the hospital tour for us must have really been pushing her own agenda, because the hospital was very accommodating. I got zero push back on not nursing (at all, not even immediately after birth), and they did have a nursery that the nurses regularly asked if we wanted to use.

Just in case anyone is in the same boat, when we went to the hospital, we tried the regular milk based formula. The hospital provided it. She was spitting up a ton, and before we left the hospital pediatrian put her on soy. We stayed on that for a good week, but still had really bad reflux symptoms. Our ped moved her to Elimentum and she has been a dream since then.

Not nursing was the right choice for me and her. I would have spent so much time trying to determine if/what foods I should eliminated, and I would have chalked a lot of the issues up to nursing or latching issues. I imagine I would have seen the lactation consultant and generally worried myself sick over it (as I did with the other 2). Right now I have a happy 7 week old who drinks every last but of her bottles, smiles constantly and sleeps for 5-6 hour stretches at night. A lot of this is just dumb luck and her personality, and I think a lot of it is her feeding off my happiness. Just adding this because I did feel like in some of the responses were nicely pushing for just trying to nurse, which I understand and was struggling with (having been an exclusive nursing mamma before). I pumped for the first 5 days and froze the milk, second guessing myself, and sobbed each time. The day I decided to stop, things changed for me and we're totally happy. So just a different perspective for those who might be in a similar situation.
    Thanks so much for updating! I am in a similar boat--DS had multiple food sensitivities and was the most unhappy baby. DD was exclusively breastfeed (would not take a bottle-actually, could not, but we didn't know that til later) and had to get a feeding tube at 6 months due to failure to thrive. I'm due with #3 in May and I have total breastfeeding PTSD - I just do not even want to start. I know that I will worry myself sick over whether the baby is getting enough and it won't be pretty. We have a stash of Alimentum formula from DD that isn't expired and I think we will start with that and then slowly try to add regular formula.

Would you mind sharing what helped to stop your milk supply? That is what I am most worried about at this point.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I would nurse for any amount of time you can and grit it out. It was soooo incredibly hard with number one but had it down by number 3. No allergies in any and worth it. I can't imagine deciding not to nurse ahead of time barring life threatening issue. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast