Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Another thought is requesting a shorter stay. With ds1, I was home in 20 hours (hospital) and home in 7 hours with ds2 (birth center). Both were my choice as I don't think hospitals are restful at all (we did rooming in- I get the appeal for some of the nursery though). Might save you some aggravation to just be home on your turf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I only nursed so can't really help only to say that if you're open to nursing for any amount of time, do it. Any bit they get is beneficial. Mastitis is preventable and I wouldn't let its possibility sway that.
    Yes to this. Any amount is beneficial to baby and nursing for the first few days is beneficial to you by causing uterine contractions and helping to prevent excessive bleeding.

This site tells you the benefit to baby even if you just nurse the first few days.
    https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/...ow-they-add-up
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would try my best to make a decision before the baby arrives. I wouldn't want the stress of deciding and feeling guilt.
    Once you make the decision make it known and no one can force you to do something. Good luck. Hugs

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I 100% support your decision. You owe no one an explaination, no feelings of guilt, no nothing. Give your self the gift of peace with this decision.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I totally get not wanting to nurse. I nursed dd for a month and got mastitis 4 times, was miserable, couldn't pump more than an ounce at a time, and quit and went to formula. When ds was born, I just told them I was not nursing and he was going to get formula. They were great and just said, "ok" and got me Enfamil. I think if you just tell them your decision and sound confident and sure of your decision, they won't try to change your mind. Do what is best for you and your family. No guilt.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Yes to this. Any amount is beneficial to baby and nursing for the first few days is beneficial to you by causing uterine contractions and helping to prevent excessive bleeding.

This site tells you the benefit to baby even if you just nurse the first few days.
    https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/...ow-they-add-up
    With all due respect - this article is a bit offensive. Some of the facts cited therein have been disproven. While breastmilk is a super food, its benefits have been wildly overstated.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think there are some on this thread that are nicely, but still suggesting, that nursing is best for the OP.

I did not nurse my DD, and I am of the strong believe that breast is not best for everyone. Feeding is best for babies, and a happy mom, IMO, is the BEST. So OP, if you are feeling pressure by any suggestions of "try it for a few days" or "see if you can work through why you feel this way", I am happy to be the voice suggesting that you are right to do what is going to make you happy.

What you need to do though, is have it noted on your chart (and on baby's bassinet I believe too) that you are not going to nurse. It was noted on mine. We had plenty of skin to skin contact to encourage bonding (not to encourage nursing) and I fed her with a bottle immediately this way. One of my best friends had a baby via surrogacy 2 years ago and the same thing was done with her since she was not nursing, but she did do skin to skin contact in the hospital most of the time. The skin contact did not confuse my breasts and I never had any leaking. My DD was an extremely happy baby and while she rooted on my neck sometimes, she never rooted at the breast or was confused.

The hospital provided the formula an they were all great. One nurse tried to talk about breastfeeding to me and I immediately complained and I didn't see that nurse again. All of the others were fine and very supportive. I never got any infections and my milk dried up I guess. I wore two jog-bras for a few days, then down to one for maybe a week after birth.

My little sister had a baby 4 months ago and had a very bad experience with breastfeeding. He never gained his birthweight back and she was miserable, as was he, for 2 weeks. We thank God that she had a wonderful LC who was very honest with my sister at the 3 week mark and said "this isn't working, you are miserable and he is miserable, let's go to plan B". The pediatrician had said too that he was not getting the nourishment that he needed but this LC was able to really let my sister know that it was ok to stop nursing. She switched to formula then and within a week he was back to birthweight and the rest of infancy has been so wonderful.

Really -- it is ok to make your choice and I really pray that you don't get remarks at the hospital. Just make sure it is noted. Have your DH fight that battle for you if you want. Be firm and you will succeed.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

No BTDT, but I think you may want to bring formula to the hospital. Especially if you plan to use a particular type/brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't know which formula is best to feed the sibling of a highly allergic child. I don't think anyone knows for sure whether it's best to avoid allergens or be sure to introduce them early. But if I had another child who was ANA to milk, I would seriously consider a hypoallergenic formula if only to prevent baby spit up from sending sibling into a reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    I 100% support your decision. You owe no one an explaination, no feelings of guilt, no nothing. Give your self the gift of peace with this decision.
    yes to this. I only breast fed my kids until they were 4 months old and dreaded pumping at work so I weaned them before I went back to work. With DD1 I also hated the idea of nursing in public so she was bottle fed with formula from about four weeks old because I had supply issues and couldn't pump much at all (Similac Advance and then either Enfamil...when I got it free or store brand formula; usually Target brand......at the time it was the same as Bright Beginnings brand) . With both my girls I also introduced formula early so DH could feed them at night and I could sleep. I was way more comfortable with nip with DD2, but we still used formula and settled on Similac Advance after trying everything on the market because she threw everything up (even breast milk, which was dairy free for a bit of time as well) due to reflux.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast