Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Help me get DS to drink from a cup

When DD was little I researched cup info to death and concluded straw cups were best...I don't remember why. So anyway, I got DS straw cup a few months ago. He wants nothing to do with it. He has never had a bottle, so only BF for liquid. I want to be involved with volunteering at DD's school, so I have to figure out how to get liquid in him when I am not around. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

I'd discard all your research and just keep trying cups until he gets it. He might prefer a sippy cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

My son would only drink from these cups when he transitioned to one.

http://www.nuk-usa.com/nuk-learner-c...M.html#start=1

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had luck with the Nuby sippy cups.
    DS 6/09

My 2 boys were quite different in their preferences for cups younger. After their first birthday with bottle, I started transiting into cups, and my oldest took lidded sippy cups. Youngest wouldn't have any of it, and seemed to gravitate towards straw sippy cups. Give your son couple of different style sippy cups for him to experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

One of mine never figured out bottles or any type of sippy cup. We tried everything and she just couldn't do it. So we just gave her a regular cup and she did fine with it from early on. She went straight from breastfeeding to regular cup.

DS did best with straw cups after about a year, but before that the only thing he could get anything out of (other than bottle or breastfeeding) was the Take n Toss sippy cups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Both girls went straight to straw cups at about a year. I would put my finger on the end of the straw to trap liquid and then put it the mouth to encourage the "suck".

Cups with weighted straws were good trainers until it clicked.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

A juice box or other really small diameter straw helped the idea "click" for my oldest.

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Both girls went straight to straw cups at about a year. I would put my finger on the end of the straw to trap liquid and then put it the mouth to encourage the "suck".

Cups with weighted straws were good trainers until it clicked.
    That's how we teach straws. I gave up and use sippy cups most of the time with my last two little ones because my 3rd likes to hurl things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast