View Poll Results: What movie for 5 yr olds?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pete's Dragon

0 0%
  • Finding Dory

4 80.00%
  • Kubo and the Two Strings

0 0%
  • Ice Age Collision Course

0 0%
  • The BFG

0 0%
  • Other

1 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What movie for 5 yr olds?

I'm taking two 5-yr-olds to the movies tomorrow and I'd like opinions on which of these choices would be best. Both of been to the theater a few times and neither is particularly sensitive.

Choices are:

Pete's Dragon - I want to see this, but does it have any scary parts? good for 5 yr olds?
    Finding Dory
    Kubo and the Two Strings
    Ice Age Collision Course
    The BFG --I really want to see this, but is it meant for an audience older than 5? I could probably pull DH along with me sometime...
    Last edited by petesgirl; 08-17-2016 at 10:15 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I heard a review on NPR for Pete's Dragon. Not planning to take ds2 now. I'm sure it's good and we will eventually see it but is supposed to be a major tear jerker. I haven't seen any of them but Dory is still on my to do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only seen Pete's. It seemed very dark to me. I enjoyed it, but there was a lot of peril. BUT, my formerly scaredy cat girls said it wasn't scary, and they both really loved it.

My friend's not sensitive 6 year old cried through Dory.

Ice Age is pretty harmless as a franchise. (I mean, you never know what kids are going to find scary, but I don't think as a whole the series is scary.)

Kubo looks kind of grown up, and the preview makes it seem like the main character is in a lot of scary situations. Plus, how did he lose that eye?

Have only heard bad things about BFG.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have only seen Dory, but I really liked it. My 4 and 6 year olds liked it, too. None of the others appeal to me or my kids. I will say we have never seen any of the Ice Age movies, but that would be my second choice. Seems harmless enough.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Of that list, Finding Dory. Some suspense, but no evil guys and generally pretty upbeat message. Live action tends to be scarier for younger kids (not sure why) and Pete's and BFG both have scary kind of suspense (rather than the "go go go Dory!") kind.

for Sandy Hook

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I haven't seen any of them yet. But Dory and Ice Age seem like the safest bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Finding Dory is a perfect film for 5 year olds. It's interesting and sweet and has some suspense, but isn't scary at all.

I don't think it was danger that made my friend's daughter cry, it was Dory losing her family and not being able to find them until the end.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I haven't seen any of the movies on the list, but I don't remember the original Pete's Dragon being a very happy movie and I can remember my brother or sister being scared of the dragon and there was a town drunk, the depressed fishing community, and the fact that Pete was an orphan. The preview for the new movie felt a lot like an episode of CBS' Under the Dome, which was Stephen King book and something about it reminded me of that. A five year old may not pick up on that, but it might be scary too.

I would probably pick Finding Dory or Ice Age.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I haven't seen Kubo or the new Pete's Dragon, only the trailers, but I'd definitely choose Finding Dory off that list. Second would be Ice Age, though a lot of the humor is slapstick, romance based, and toilet-y and might even be above the head of a 5 year old. The others I don't think are at all appropriate for most 5 year olds. I'd go to Finding Dory.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast