Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Southern late September wedding- what to wear?

I know it will still be hot so I'm having a hard time figuring out what to wear (we don't live in the South). Should I be wearing fall colors anyway even though it's warm? It's not black tie but a big church wedding. Suggestions appreciated. Think my kids could get away with khakis, button down shirt & a tie? Khakis can be year round there, right?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Never dawned on me to wear fall colors for the October wedding we went to in NC last year. . I just wore a black, white and purple flowered dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am not from the south, but yes I think your kids could get away button downs and khakis, plus a clip on bow tie as the south is super preppy. My 5 yr. old cousin (my first cousin's son) has lived in Alabama (Montgomery) for just over a year now and this week for his first day of kindergarten he wore a bow tie with his school uniform. If you a find a deal on seersucker I might go that route too, but based on my cousins photos of life in the South I think khakis and a button down are fine.

I would rent a nice cocktail dress from Rent the Runway or buy from Nordstrom Rack or Nordstrom and if the dress is sleeveless or strapless take a wrap. Talbots also has some nice formal dresses that don't scream old lady and you can get them for a decent price especially now.

Here is a photo of the Talbots dress from my brother's wedding (me w/my dad):

and here is a recent rental from Rent the Runway (I bought the coral cardigan from Target the day of the wedding as it ended up being cooler than I thought). The dress is by Slate and Willow and called the Navy Brush stroke dress (me w/DH and DD1):

and I also bought this dress from NY & Co and it was my backup in case the RTR dress didn't work (it is from the Eva Mendes line and is great quality for the sale price of $40!) (me w/DDs):
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-20-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I am not from the south, but yes I think your kids could get away button downs and khakis, plus a clip on bow tie as the south is super preppy. My 5 yr. old cousin (my first cousin's son) has lived in Alabama (Montgomery) for just over a year now and this week for his first day of kindergarten he wore a bow tie with his school uniform. If you a find a deal on seersucker I might go that route too, but based on my cousins photos of life in the South I think khakis and a button down are fine.

I would rent a nice cocktail dress from Rent the Runway or buy from Nordstrom Rack or Nordstrom and if the dress is sleeveless or strapless take a wrap. Talbots also has some nice formal dresses that don't scream old lady and you can get them for a decent price especially now.
    Thanks for sharing the photos! I love that Eva Mendes dress. Also love the idea of bow ties. That would be so cute!

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I live in Ga, and think you are fine in anything that doesn't scream spring. The Eva Mendes dress Annie posted would be cute. I just wouldn't do a floral print or pastels, but that's me. You will probably see all kinds of stuff. Khakis and button downs are fine for the kids.
    Last edited by BDKmom; 08-20-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typo
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

People in the south follow seasonal weather norms for clothes. So it might be 78 degrees in October but you can't wear a peach summery dress. Look now for navy; you may score a great deal. Black is certainly fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    I live in Ga, and think you are fine in anything that doesn't scream spring. The Eva Mendes dress Annie posted would be cute. I just wouldn't do a floral print or pastels, but that's me. You will probably see all kinds of stuff. Khakis and button downs are fine for the kids.
    Thanks, I'm more a jewel tone than pastel person anyway, so that makes it easier.