petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default S/O : does your dentist polish your teeth?

Just at the dentist today I began wondering why they polish my teeth every 6 months. Is there some health value to it or is it purely cosmetic?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes they always have and I have neve questioned it. I hated the paste they used when I was a kid, but thankfully the flavor so have come a long way and tastes a heck of a lot better. My teeth do feel cleaner for a few days post polishing. I get my teeth polished and cleaned every 3-4 months and it really helps with my teeth because they naturally have a lot of buildup, but thankfully I have only ever gotten one cavity (that I didn't even need a sedative for) and my dental visits are so much easier now that I go on a more regular basis.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-23-2016 at 01:16 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes the hygenist does at every visit (every 6 months) I assume it is also helping to clean, but never really thought about it, since that has been part of the procedure since I was a kid.
    mom to Billy 12/07

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

yes the hygienist should polish your teeth at each cleaning. Yes it helps to clean and remove stains.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions