Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How often do your kids get dental X-Ray?

Saw the topic on floride treatment at the dentist on another thread, and since we are on dentist visits, I am wondering how often do your kids get dental X-Ray?

My kids are 6 and 10, they do a pretty good job of brushing their teeth. The 10-year-old has had a tiny cavity 2 years ago, and nothing since then. The 6 yr old has no cavities so far. Their dentist would take a dental X-Ray every visit (i.e. every 6 months). He says that they have invested in digital X-Rays which emit 50% less radiation than the traditional ones, so it is very very safe.

I have resisted once before, but everytime when we go back for a visit, they would tout the safeness of the digital X-Rays, and how low the radiation dosage is compared to other daily activities that we do. The dentist is a friend we know from church, and he's a nice guy. Not wanting to put up with this soft persuasion everytime we come, I succumbed and allow them to take the X-Rays, albeit with a double leaded apron protection.

But I feel uncomfortable everytime they take the X-rays. And I wonder if I should stand my ground, or maybe look for another dentist? Just want to see what the norm here is. Thanks!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yearly is sufficient IMO every 6 months is over kill unless there is pain or a visualized area that is in question.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think they do them every other year.

I think every 6 months is too often. Our dentist does every 2-3 years for my kids and every year for kids who have had dental problems. When I was growing up, my mother made the dentist wait for every 5 years! I'm 45 and Ive never had a cavity, though, and my kids haven't had any dental problems. I'd think that unless your child has dental issues, once a year is enough and every visit is overkill.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

every few years and every visit it is a discussion with the dentist.

this was a recent article in the NYT
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/up...year.html?_r=0
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Ds1 started attending his dentist around 18 months and it was only just last summer as a 4 year old that he got dental x Ray first time. Was so glad we had it done as he lost his front tooth from falling 9 months later, so those x Ray images came in useful then to see the tracking of his teeth. His dentist only does it every other year so that means next time would be following year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    every few years and every visit it is a discussion with the dentist.

this was a recent article in the NYT
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/up...year.html?_r=0
    Thanks for the article. This will help build up my case for subsequent visits.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our dentist does x-rays every other cleaning visit, so once a year (based on two visits a year).
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I believe it is once a year. I am okay with that.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it depends on your child's history of problems and your family history. I have incredibly bad teeth - I have ten crowns, and expect one more soon. Dentist wanted to do a panoramic at 7, to see the cutting molars and front teeth, so we skipped a year's worth in preparation for it. Otherwise, we've done one digital bite wing each side each year. My molars came in with bad enamel and we are watching DS closely.
    We are also going to do sealants this winter, then I will be much less concerned and may back down and x-ray less often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast