theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Anxiety dx without a 504?

Dd1 has moderate/severe anxiety. We started therapy earlier this year and on the recommendation of the psychologist we saw a psychiatrist. She started lexapro a month ago and, crossing my fingers, have seen an improvement in her anxiety.

I was in close contact with her 1st grade teacher. Her anxiety didn't seem to affect her in the classroom. It was home where things fell apart. I did have her in the school psychologist led friendship club as she was having trouble on that front at school.

I only know about 504s from here. My gut tells me to keep things quiet until I see it affect her classroom. Can the more experienced mamas here tell me if that is the right call?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

No BTDT with anxiety, but DD has ADHD. She just started kindergarten this year. I asked her psychologist if I should look at getting a 504 for her and he recommended we wait and see if she needs any accommodations .

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think I would wait with the caveat that you are sure it isn't impacting the classroom. DS1 has anxiety but it can look like
    - going to the bathroom often
    - refusing to do specific types of work
    - easily becoming upset about situations difficult (but normal) situations
    - becoming upset when schedules change with no advance notice
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Should I let the teacher or someone else at the school know about her dx?

Mama to 3 awesome kids

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post

I did let the teacher know about DD's dx. Mostly because I didn't want her to think she was just bad kid and because I wanted to know if she was having any specific difficulties.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DS (8 - entering 2nd) has a generalized anxiety dx and no 504. We've focused more on relationships with the teachers and admin. I've prepped them on what his anxiety looks like, what triggers are, and what to do. We've put supports in place as needed. We're in a smaller school (3 classes / grade) and he has a brother 2 years ahead of him, so it's never uncharted waters.

I would absolutely talk to the teachers. I firmly want him to be held accountable for bad behavior (which doesn't happen, because he's terrified of being in time out in front of the class), but I do not want him held accountable for anxiety.

An example: One of his major triggers is being alone (even in a room in our small house). As a result, he worries about being left behind when they transition to specials. If he is at the end of the line, he will disobey and move to the front. That is not okay, but it's anxiety-based. Easily overcome by letting him be in the front part of the line for transitions. We can work on moving him towards the back part of the line, but setting him up to fail is a disaster in the making.

Another example: He won't turn in forms, because he's worried that he'll put them in the wrong box and will be punished (remember - anxiety is rarely rational). Yes, he needs to learn to do this, no question. But, he can be supported by a simple reminder and assurance that the wrong box is just fine, it can be fixed.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post

Speaking as a teacher, this is information I would like to know. Just so I can keep an eye out, and I can have a heads up if I see anything concerning. If there are any things you think would help her (preferential seating, picture schedule, things like that) those are all things most teachers can and will do without any formal 504s or IEPs.

Depends if the anxiety gets in the way of daily living. As a teacher, I would suggest the 504 if you feel the anxiety may impede on state testing. Separate testing, and even extended time may be given. Modified homework (evens instead of all) can take worry off of assignment completion. Later in MS, extra time to get to classes, use of elevator to make things faster and easier, are also helpful for kids who worry about being late.