KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default If you cook fish in your home

How do you deal with the stink? We love fish here, but it leaves such an odor in the house.
    K

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like to cook fish twice a week if I can swing it. The keys are to buy it fresh and use within a day, rinse well before prep, and marinade in white wine. I like to time it so that trash day is the next day (I cook all my meats the day before trash day!)

Day 1: Buy fish
    Day 1 or 2: remove fish from wrapping, rinse well with cold water (this is a key step - you can even go a step further and sprinkle with salt, let sit a minute, and rinse again with water), blot dry, and place in glass dish
    Day 3: trash day!

For us, white cooking wine is the key to getting rid of fish odors! In the glass dish I season with S&P, and then pour a little white wine over everything. I let that sit for an hour or so, flipping the fish halfway. Then I cook using one of these 2 methods:

Steaming is one of my preferred methods because it's easy. I place the fish in a flat bowl for steaming, thinly slice ginger and green onion and put that on top of the fish, pour a little bit of the wine from the glass dish into the steaming dish, and then steam for 5-10 minutes depending on how thick the fish is. Sometimes I add soy sauce and/or a few drops of sesame oil on top first. When it's done, serve over rice with a bit of the juice spooned on top. Yum. Obviously this is more asian-inspired. I've done it with salmon, trout, tilapia. Easy, quick, not stinky.

Or, I lightly coat the fish in flour and pan-fry (my kids' preferred method). Also easy, a bit more messy, also not stinky. For catfish I rub lightly with mayo and bread in cornmeal and sometimes add some cajun seasoning.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 08-24-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Leave a little bowl of vinegar out while you're cooking. Also, you can dampen a paper towel in vinegar and wave it around. The vinegar will get rid of the odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great tips!! Thank you!
    K

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

grilling. every time. DH catches fish regularly, and even hours after being caught, cooked fish smells fishy to me.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I turn on the hood ventilator full blast.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/