Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    He's going to be hunched over all day in school? Even if it's not appendicitis, that doesn't sound conducive to learning. Did the ped's office say it was no big deal? There's a nurse who sets sick appointments for ours who does sort of triage on the phone.
    By hunched over, it's a slump--definitely hurts him when he stands or sits up straight, but when seated, you probably wouldn't even notice. He didn't even ask to stay home from school and said he felt fine but just that his stomach hurt when he stood up straight. Like I said, I had him jump, and when he said it was fine, I sent him off to school. I told him to go to nurse if it bugs him at all or gets worse. Since nurse hasn't called, I don't know if I'm over-reacting to go get him or whether I should just wait until his appointment. Maybe I should contact his teacher to see how he is doing?

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    By hunched over, it's a slump--definitely hurts him when he stands or sits up straight, but when seated, you probably wouldn't even notice. He didn't even ask to stay home from school and said he felt fine but just that his stomach hurt when he stood up straight. Like I said, I had him jump, and when he said it was fine, I sent him off to school. I told him to go to nurse if it bugs him at all or gets worse. Since nurse hasn't called, I don't know if I'm over-reacting to go get him or whether I should just wait until his appointment. Maybe I should contact his teacher to see how he is doing?
    Honestly, I'd go get him. My dad's presented similarly. He stooped over a bit but never was in much pain, until it did burst. They said his was positioned in a way that way a bit outside of normal, and that's why it didn't hurt before the burst. Basically, the warning signals didn't work for him like they would have most others.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would contact his teacher to ask how he is.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would go get him from school and bring him in asap. No need to risk it--get him checked out right away.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There's no way I'd have sent him. Head to the Dr. My guess is gas but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My appendicitis presented the same way. I would take to doc or ER sooner than later.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

OP, any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, please update!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD1, 9, just had her appendix out 3 weeks ago. Stomach ache started on a Sunday afternoon and was centered around her belly button. By the next morning it had moved down to the lower quadrant and she was walking very slowly and carefully. No fever. DH took her to the ped and she tested positive for strep and was sent home. By 4pm that Monday she was walking very gingerly, almost on her tip toes, and we knew something was up. It wasn't until later that night, when the pain really increased (she said 7 on a 10pt scale) that it hurt her to jump (it's a rebound pain). While she had no fever, she did have lack of appetite and two episodes of vomiting.

I definitely think it's worth checking out after school if it's still hurting him. DD1 didn't have surgery until Tuesday morning so while somewhat urgent, we definitely had from mid-day Sunday until 7am Tuesday without it rupturing and the surgeon said it was mildly inflamed, even after all that time passed. So I wouldn't panic, but I also wouldn't wait if it's bothering him and you don't believe it's gas or constipation.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all your replies! I went ahead and picked him up around noon. He was in the middle of recess and was playing soccer! He was still walking hunched over and said he was playing soccer hunched over but as long as he didn't stand up straight he felt fine. We went to the doctor and he has strep throat. Hopefully, that will take care of the issue. His doctor didn't think it was appendicitis after she checked him out, even before the strep test, but she said to come back if the strep antibiotics don't improve the stomachache.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast