jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Converting DL to State ID- Texas

Has anyone had experience converting a DL to a state ID in Texas? My friend's 91 yo Dad doesn't drive anymore so he doesn't need his DL but they feel he still needs a form of ID. Do you know if she has to take him in person to the DMV to change over his DL to a State ID? It is very difficult for him to get around and maneuver in public so she doesn't want to take him out if it isn't needed. The DMV website is unclear on this process.
    Last edited by jerigirl; 08-29-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerigirl View Post
    Has anyone had experience converting a DL to a state ID in Texas? My friend's 91 yo Dad doesn't drive anymore so he doesn't need his DL but they feel he still needs a form of ID. Do you know if she has to take him in person to the DMV to change over his DL to a State ID? It is very difficult for him to get around and maneuver in public so she doesn't want to take him out if it isn't needed. The DMV website is unclear on this process.
    Is the license expired?
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

In this document, it looks like you can request "homebound" services including picture for a state ID: http://gov.texas.gov/files/disabilit...ities_2013.doc

"I cannot leave my home due to my disability. Can I still receive a driver’s license or identification card?
    You can apply for and receive an identification card without leaving your home if your disability prevents you from applying in person. A DPS program called “Homebound” provides the necessary services, including having your photograph taken in your home.
    The Homebound program is not available for driver’s licenses.
    To request services through the Homebound program, fill out this online form available through DPS, indicating in the “questions” field that you are requesting Homebound services"
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks o_Mom. The license expires in December. With further reading about the Homebound program, a few sources say it is for truly bedridden patients. He is not, but my friend is going to inquire and see what happens. That would be the best solution if it is possible.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10