Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need acne help

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Need acne help

DD is 12 and has terrible acne. It has gotten progressively worse over the summer and I know part of it is hormones because it gets worse when she's on her period. I got her the Rodan and Fields Unblemish and it hasn't worked, in fact it has made her acne worse. She is on week 6 and we aren't seeing any results. I never had acne so I have no idea where to start. I know a lot of people like Paula's Choice but I'm completely overwhelmed. After using the R&F, I guess it is usually a 4 step process. She needs a face wash, toner, some type of spot treatment, and lotion? If I get a trial kit how long do I give it before we move on to something else? I know it's not going to work overnight but I don't want to make the problem worse by using the wrong products for weeks.

I am planning to take her to the dermatologist but we can't be seen for months.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

I feel like acne is so hormonal. At her age, I don't think a good skincare regimen would make a big difference. I had horrible acne as a teenager, and nothing really helped. I even took accutane, which did help for a while. But then my acne came back a few years later and only went away when I went on birth control pills. After having kids I was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I have struggled with acne since I was about her age. Thankfully it is not as bad now. I have had luck with these products http://www.acnefree.com
    IIRC, it's sold at target.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Call another dermatologist (ask around, and also to be put on the cancellation list/beg for an appointment). I could have written your exact post two years ago.

Don't mess around with OTC stuff at this point.

DD is now 13, but at age 11 right when she started her period her face broke out like crazy, she was covered in pimples, I think we counted over 50 pimples!

I called around until I found a dermatologist who could take her asap, I explained to the nurse the situation, as she was headed to middle school in 6 weeks and she was a mess. We live in a small city of 150K and not many options, but I was determined for her to be seen.

The dermatologist said we really needed to get a handle on it before too much serious damage was done, and scaring occured. We went on a twice a day dose of Ampicillin as well as a oxy wash followed by a morning gel of clydamyacin and night cream of Tretoinin (retin A). It MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!

She still has some outbreaks, and it appears she's predisposed to acne (I think I had 3 pimples my whole life), so I'm glad we've got some good stuff that works.

We were able to cut back on the ampicillin and she uses the clindamyacin daily and the retin a when needed.

I love the dermatologist we found, she is great with DD.

go to a dermatologist. there is no difference in active ingredients between companies/ brands over the counter, the only FDA approved ingredients over the counter are benzoyl peroxide, salicyclic acid, and sulfur. All of the different companies do marketing different, but R+F is no different than the cvs brand acne treatment. (I know many of you may not agree, but if you look at the actual published in medical journal/peer reviewed data on acne there is no difference between the products OTC).

I am a dermatology PA. The prescription meds will address the 4 mechanisms that contribute to acne. No OTC can address all 4.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    I am a dermatology PA. The prescription meds will address the 4 mechanisms that contribute to acne. No OTC can address all 4.
    Thanks for the good info! Could you please tell me about for mechanisms that contribute to acne? I'd love to learn more (especially for my DD). :-)

Sure!

Basically what happens with acne (in puberty)
    1. - the epidermal cells in the follicules start dividing rapidly which clog the pores
    2 - excess sebum production in those pores which further lead to clogging (usually triggered by hormones)
    3 - active bacteria p. acnes, which basically feeds on the clogged pores and overgrow
    4 - inflammation

the aad has some good info on it.
    https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/...acne#treatment

benzoyl peroxide is antibacterial, but not an antibiotic. it can penetrate the pores to an extent and help unclog the pores somewhat. studies show the % of benzoyl peroxide doesn't matter - 2% works as well as 10%. The lower the % benzoyl peroxide the better it is tolerated. products like proactiv have a lower concentration of benzoyl peroxide, which is more tolerable.

If you or any of your kids on on topical antibiotics or oral antibiotics for acne, a benzoyl peroxide product (leave on or wash) is essential because it prevents antibiotic resistance from developing.

salicylic acid basically increases cell turnover, which helps treat/prevent comedones(blackheads).

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Whatever you do, don't let her take accutane! Lots of side effects and potential long term side effects.

Make sure she washes in the morning and evening with a mild soap (like Dove sensitive) and warm water. Also, make sure her pillow cases are clean and she washes her hair daily. You can change out the cases every few days and that helps.

Hope you can get a cancellation appt soon. Hang in there!
    K

my office does not have a cancellation list except for surgical procedures, but I tellpatients all the time to call about 30 minutes after the office opens because people cancel all the time. it is the best way to get an earlier appointment. also, many pediatricians will prescribe some topicals for acne ( clindamycin, epiduo, tretinoin). if you cant wait start there.

In terms of accutane, any dermatologist that would give it to a 12 year old or at the first visit you should run away from. It is a life changing medication for some, and definitely worth the risks in the right patient. it is a last resort medication and not one that should even be discussed at an initial visit.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Whatever you do, don't let her take accutane! Lots of side effects and potential long term side effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    In terms of accutane, any dermatologist that would give it to a 12 year old or at the first visit you should run away from. It is a life changing medication for some, and definitely worth the risks in the right patient. it is a last resort medication and not one that should even be discussed at an initial visit.
    I was on accutane and totally agree it should not be a first (or second, or third...) choice. But in my case, we tried every other option first. There was literally no other options and I had been dealing with acne for years. It was causing emotional problems for me. I begged my mom to let me try it; she was very resistant. So no, it's not the best option, but sometimes it's needed. Honestly, I think my years of dealing with acne caused long term side effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast