mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Life Alert or something similar for elderly family member

I need to get a medical alert system for an elderly family member. Can anyone recommend one? I've read Life Alert doesn't get great reviews. Any others that people would recommend? This person won't wear a necklace but will consider a bracelet if it's "pretty." Thanks.
    Last edited by mackmama; 09-08-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I need to get a medical alert system for an elderly family member. Can anyone recommend one? I've read Life Alert doesn't get great reviews. This person won't wear a necklace but will consider a bracelet if it's "pretty." Thanks.
    We got this for my mom. System works great if person it bought for will wear it. My mom did not want to wear it. I think part of it has to do with how it makes them feel. I'm old, I need help, etc. I will say this, my mom has become stubborn and cranky in her later years.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There are many different companies. They do make a bracelet, but it very stylish.
    DS 6/09

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

They also need to wear it all the time, and be willing to use it. If you don't wear it to bed, it won't help if you fall when you need to empty your bladder at 2am. And if you won't push the button to get help, even though you may need help, it also does no good.

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My parents' neighbor had a necklace that was connected to her home alarm system. She actually had to use it one day when she fell and broke her hip. The alarm company called my mother and she went over there with her key and found her friend and called 911. It worked perfectly but the neighbor wore the necklace all the time!
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My dad has one. It works outside of the home as well. He started with the bracelet but it kept hitting things PLUS you need to carry a separate item in order for the bracelet to connect to their system. He called and they returned free of charge and sent him a necklace instead that has the whole system in the necklace part. It costs a little more.

Not sure which brand he went with.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

My FIL wears a necklace button by Medical Guardian. It's $50/month I believe. It has GPS and the call comes through on a speaker on the necklace vs. just the base unit. He likes this because he's still pretty active and gets out. It will work away from home. I just got my father to order the same necklace. He had gotten down on his hands and knees and realized that he had to struggle to get himself back to standing. That was enough of a reality check for him. He likes it because it doesn't automatically call 911. He can have the operator phone me instead for non-super-emergency situations.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

Yes this is true! Have to be willing to accept the hep first of all.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Mackmama did you select a company that you are happy with? My mom is asking for one. thanks!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

We were considering the life alert for my MIL. But main downfall is if they refuse to wear it all.the.time which my mil won’t do cuz she says but I have poppu with me most of time! Not ideal.

Hope you find one that works well for your family member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14