legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default KonMari fall 2016

Just wanted to get this started - I was doing well then got totally derailed by pregnancy/infancy ofDS3 (10 months)

I'm in. Hoping to start Monday when DD starts preschool.

In! Although it will be piecemeal for me. We got our carpets cleaned today and now I don't want to move any of our junk back in to these nice clean uncluttered rooms!
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes, I'm in. I read the book last winter, then broke my wrist and got pregnant, so my house is in need of some serious attention. Couple that with being at my mom's this weekend and I'm ready to start tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my mom is a hoarder.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have had a 180• turn around from shopaholic to aspiring minimalist over the last few months. I can hardly explain it was like something finally clicked in my brain and I am literally spending every spare minute clearing out stuff. I have been blogging about it a bit but hope to add more soon.

ETA: Also, I'm hoping to read The More of Less by Joshua Becker as soon as I can get it at the library. Here is a video of his talk. For me, this was much more motivational than KonMari, because he is extremely positive and a bit more practical. Rather than specific tips, this is all about inspiring the decision to become minimalist. I really had to have a complete turn around in my mindset, but now that I have I am so detached from the process it has become very very easy. It's honestly been a weird experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLGeyP8UeU
    Last edited by Melaine; 09-11-2016 at 06:19 AM.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you! I need this motivation. I'm planning on selling my house and have mixed feelings about it. I know with the proper minimizing and staging, I can greatly increase my profit; it's just getting started. Starting with clothes will be a challenge since it was high 90's with 98% humidity on Saturday and a high of 78 today! I will definitely check out Joshua Becker! I really love reading the emails and the Facebook page from No Sidebar!

That's amazing Melaine, I will need to watch that.

For clothes in particular - if you're postpartum, how do you evaluate things that don't fit but you expect (hope) to fit again? Currently about 20lb up from pre pregnancy, I've always gone back down at some point when babies are 18 months or so. I need to go through and try on clothes no matter what since I don't think I can get away with wearing yoga pants all winter last year...

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

How is everyone doing? I just re-listened to the Life-Changing Magic and am reading on kindle the Spark of Joy as well as a library copy of the Joy of Less (different author). I'm very excitedly waiting for a copy of the More of Less by Joshua Becker.

I really did think that Marie Kondo was a minimalist when I first read the book but now the second time I don't really think so. For me, I have chosen to get rid of a lot of things that I thought sparked joy. I'm pursuing a more minimalist mindset instead, which has been more clear-cut for me (probably because of my emotional ties to shopping and stuff). But I am not exaggerating to say this minimalism journey is the most impactful thing I have discovered since I became a parent. I finally feel like I have some traction in my life and like I am back in the cockpit of parenting, so to speak. I don't want to over-dramatize, but at the same time I really want to share this with everyone!

She's not a minimalist at all - I think it's more if you follow her philosophy completely you won't have much stuff left because it's difficult to have a joy-sparking relationship with huge number of things. Interesting that you've found minimalism to work better for you. I have no aspirations toward minimalism for the sake of minimalism per se. That said I may mentally be thinking of this blog post I read once about a minimalist kitchen and it literally said "we're a family of 8 so we have 8 plates" and I know there are far less extreme versions.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    How is everyone doing? I just re-listened to the Life-Changing Magic and am reading on kindle the Spark of Joy as well as a library copy of the Joy of Less (different author). I'm very excitedly waiting for a copy of the More of Less by Joshua Becker.

I really did think that Marie Kondo was a minimalist when I first read the book but now the second time I don't really think so. For me, I have chosen to get rid of a lot of things that I thought sparked joy. I'm pursuing a more minimalist mindset instead, which has been more clear-cut for me (probably because of my emotional ties to shopping and stuff). But I am not exaggerating to say this minimalism journey is the most impactful thing I have discovered since I became a parent. I finally feel like I have some traction in my life and like I am back in the cockpit of parenting, so to speak. I don't want to over-dramatize, but at the same time I really want to share this with everyone!
    I'm so intrigued by your journey! Do you have any pictures of your new spaces?

I'm not sure if I'm really a minimalist, but I know we have too much stuff and I'm trying to fix that. I feel like too much of my time and my kids time is spent picking up and cleaning stuff. I want my time back! We live in a small ish house, 2100 sq ft, for seven people, so that is part of the issue. But I also feel we should be able to fit all we truly need and love into this space with out living like pack rats. It's been a slow process...but I'm beginning to see some progress.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)