okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Do businesses/repairmen return your call?

I am having the hardest time getting businesses/repairmen to return my calls. We need a roof leak fixed and a sprinkler system replaced, and I have called no fewer than 3 different businesses 3 times each, and only has returned my call ( to tell me they were not taking on any new jobs). I've asked for recommendations among friends, and even those that have come recommended to me, aren't returning my calls. When I mentioned the lack of returned calls, my friends said she'd had the exact same experience and to just keep calling. I don't want to have to chase down repair people who have quit returning my calls half way through a job, so I've been moving on to the next recommended company each time they don't call me back, but I just don't get it. Is this pretty standard in your area?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My weirdest was this...my neighbor recommended the plumber he'd used many times. I booked him to come at 12:30pm, knowing I had preschool pick up and would get home between 11:45-12; I knew there'd be padding on my end. So, I pull up at 11:45 and see the plumber sitting in his van a few houses up. Thought that was a bit odd or that he had another appointment on our street. I could see him. However, 12:30 came and went and the plumber never came to my house. Maybe he got the wrong house?? I couldn't figure out was up soon enough to decide how to handle things (go and knock on his window??). I think I called and got no answer. My neighbor still uses him. I never have and don't plan to. I really don't understand the customer service issues that are so common in these industries. Thank goodness dh is handy so I rarely need to hire someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    I am having the hardest time getting businesses/repairmen to return my calls. We need a roof leak fixed and a sprinkler system replaced, and I have called no fewer than 3 different businesses 3 times each, and only has returned my call ( to tell me they were not taking on any new jobs). I've asked for recommendations among friends, and even those that have come recommended to me, aren't returning my calls. When I mentioned the lack of returned calls, my friends said she'd had the exact same experience and to just keep calling. I don't want to have to chase down repair people who have quit returning my calls half way through a job, so I've been moving on to the next recommended company each time they don't call me back, but I just don't get it. Is this pretty standard in your area?
    This is, unfortunately, really common. I find that very few people will call you back if they're too busy to take the job. You would think they would at least call to TELL you that's what's going on, but it's rare. It doesn't mean that if they ultimately take the job they'll flake out midway through, but I won't use companies or workmen that don't respond. It leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I just think it's common courtesy to return a call and explain the situation. I switched plumbers and electricians for that reason. I got tired of calling my plumber with an emergency and not hearing back! The plumber I use now is more expensive, but he works for a company that answers its phone, returns calls, and responds quickly to all calls but especially emergencies. It's worth the extra money to have someone dependable that you know will show up when you need him!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No. They do return my husband's calls. Not cool, but reality.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    No. They do return my husband's calls. Not cool, but reality.
    I've tried this too, and still, nothing.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also have the same issue. I call and call, and in a lot of cases eventually get someone. Getting them to come to the house and do the work is another story. Sigh. You'd think I was asking them to pay me and not the other way around!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    Honestly it's the same for me. If they don't want the business, they don't call back. But what's worse is when they call back, say they'll do the work, and then don't show up. Or do show up but are hours late. Or even worse, like another poster here experienced recently and I've had happen too, they get half the work done but don't come back for weeks to finish it. It takes every once of patience I have not to yell and scream at these people who do that.

Recently we had a carpenter who we paid to build our library. It's an octagonal room and we knew it would be difficult. 4 different carpenters came to our house to discuss it. Only one returned our calls after that. Thank God the one who called was amazing or it would never have been finished. It took him 2 weeks to fabricate the wood and 2 weeks to install it. I was shocked. He showed up every day, on time, never left his trash behind and even swept the room when he was done. The guy was a machine. I'd never seen a contractor work like that before and that quickly for such a difficult job. Sadly, that is rare.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

DH has had the same experience. It is so difficult to find someone who returns calls and is able to do the work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Are you calling one place for both jobs, I can't tell from the OP? Maybe they can only do one of the jobs but you are asking for both?

Roof leaks are hard, most roofers in my area are cramming to get new construction and complete re-roofs done before winter. So, I can see that one being a tough job to find.

Yes, is common and maddening though. New construction is booming here and contractors make more for their bottom line on that kind of work, so the repair stuff gets pushed aside. Especially this time of year!

It' the same here. Flooring guy called last week - DH was calling him in July. Tile guy has ghosted us, after coming out, measuring, saying he could start at the end of July. DH picked out tile by himself b/c I was out of town and we didn't want him to be waiting on us.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12