Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

About 10 years ago I went to an ENT and he told me my septum was deviated so badly. He said the only way to stop the stuffiness was to get the surgery. I ended up not doing it because we ended up moving and I had also gotten a bad feeling about this guy, as numerous people at work had told me they had the same surgery done. We were living about 13 hours from where I grew up at the time, so I wasn't overly familiar with doctors.

Fast forward to last year, I had to go to an ENT for a lump behind my ear and she told me that my septum was only slightly deviated, nothing like this other guy had made it out to be. She said my reason for so many issues is just that I have small sinus cavities, nothing surgery can fix. I trust her immensely. We have since moved back home and I know the doctors better. She's also taken care of my kids and I feel she is very trustworthy. She won't do surgery unless it's necessary. She told me she could fix my septum if I wanted but that it would more than likely go back to where it was. Her solution for me was to use a nasal spray daily to keep my sinus cavity from swelling, because that's when I get issues, since my sinus's were so small. I don't know if that would work for someone with a true deviated septum but might be worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    About 10 years ago I went to an ENT and he told me my septum was deviated so badly. He said the only way to stop the stuffiness was to get the surgery. I ended up not doing it because we ended up moving and I had also gotten a bad feeling about this guy, as numerous people at work had told me they had the same surgery done. We were living about 13 hours from where I grew up at the time, so I wasn't overly familiar with doctors.

Fast forward to last year, I had to go to an ENT for a lump behind my ear and she told me that my septum was only slightly deviated, nothing like this other guy had made it out to be. She said my reason for so many issues is just that I have small sinus cavities, nothing surgery can fix. I trust her immensely. We have since moved back home and I know the doctors better. She's also taken care of my kids and I feel she is very trustworthy. She won't do surgery unless it's necessary. She told me she could fix my septum if I wanted but that it would more than likely go back to where it was. Her solution for me was to use a nasal spray daily to keep my sinus cavity from swelling, because that's when I get issues, since my sinus's were so small. I don't know if that would work for someone with a true deviated septum but might be worth a try!
    Interesting, this is similar to what my current ENT suggested. She is telling me to use my neti pot every day, as well as Nasonex. If that doesn't work, then she will consider surgery. I have to say, when she was describing the surgery my reaction was "that sounds awesome." The thought of my nose being completely clear sounds amazing.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Interesting, this is similar to what my current ENT suggested. She is telling me to use my neti pot every day, as well as Nasonex. If that doesn't work, then she will consider surgery. I have to say, when she was describing the surgery my reaction was "that sounds awesome." The thought of my nose being completely clear sounds amazing.
    I forgot to say I also use the neti pot daily and it has really helped me a lot. I've had two friends who've had the surgery, one awhile back and one more recently. Neither have had full "recovery" with it. I will say, I totally get what you are talking about with the feeling of your nose being clear. When I went in for the ear lump, it was found through CT scan that my entire left sinus had actually been closed for probably at least 6 months. After a strong dose of antibiotics and some steroids, I remember saying to DH "I didn't know you could breathe through both nostrils at the same time!" It truly is an amazing feeling. I'm stuffed now, but it's my own fault. I am not so consistent with my nose spray.

I worked in an ENT office a few years ago. Typically (and I'll assume you would be the same, it's par for course), they will septoplasty with turbinate reduction. The surgery itself is very routine (our clinic's surgery center had 4-8 a day, 4 days a week). The first and second day you will be rum-dummy on pain medicine. Day 3 you will think it's the stupidest thing you ever did, and you won't believe you paid someone to make you feel like that. Then you will take your pain pill, go to the doctor's, and they will take the splints out. This relieves the massive feeling of nasal sinus pressure. After a week, most people are "okay" but discouraged that they aren't "better." After 6 weeks, they are singing the doctor's praises more often than not

I've seen some tough recoveries, but it generally depends on basic self-care. Don't overdue things after surgery, let people take care of you, and you will heal better/faster.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
    I worked in an ENT office a few years ago. Typically (and I'll assume you would be the same, it's par for course), they will septoplasty with turbinate reduction. The surgery itself is very routine (our clinic's surgery center had 4-8 a day, 4 days a week). The first and second day you will be rum-dummy on pain medicine. Day 3 you will think it's the stupidest thing you ever did, and you won't believe you paid someone to make you feel like that. Then you will take your pain pill, go to the doctor's, and they will take the splints out. This relieves the massive feeling of nasal sinus pressure. After a week, most people are "okay" but discouraged that they aren't "better." After 6 weeks, they are singing the doctor's praises more often than not

I've seen some tough recoveries, but it generally depends on basic self-care. Don't overdue things after surgery, let people take care of you, and you will heal better/faster.
    I love your description of the recovery. I just saw an ENT for the first time for congestion and snoring and she said my septum was deviated, but about 80% of the population is as well. Most of my congestion stems from enlarged turbinates. She is going to do an in-office procedure to shrink the turbinates and would not recommend surgery for me at this time. The recovery just does not sound like fun. I can not comfortably breathe through my mouth, so when I get really bad I rely on sudafed and afrin. I couldn't handle even a few days of packing.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    I love your description of the recovery. I just saw an ENT for the first time for congestion and snoring and she said my septum was deviated, but about 80% of the population is as well. Most of my congestion stems from enlarged turbinates. She is going to do an in-office procedure to shrink the turbinates and would not recommend surgery for me at this time. The recovery just does not sound like fun. I can not comfortably breathe through my mouth, so when I get really bad I rely on sudafed and afrin. I couldn't handle even a few days of packing.
    The in-office procedure we did (balloon sinoplasty with a roto-rooter kind of turbinate reduction) seemed much kinder and no splints! But, if they have to do splints, there are huge air passages so you can still breathe through your nose. Our in-office procedures had only been going about 3 months when I changed offices.

The in-office procedure we did (balloon sinoplasty with a roto-rooter kind of turbinate reduction) seemed much kinder and no splints! But, if they have to do splints, there are huge air passages so you can still breathe through your nose. Our in-office procedures had only been going about 3 months when I changed offices.
    Oh yes! I forgot about the sinoplasty with the balloon. My current ENT did say that if I ever do need it done, the balloon is the way to go. I know not all ENTs in our area do it, but she said it's a much better procedure.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Oh yes! I forgot about the sinoplasty with the balloon. My current ENT did say that if I ever do need it done, the balloon is the way to go. I know not all ENTs in our area do it, but she said it's a much better procedure.
    Interesting. It was actually a radiofrequency reduction the doctor was recommending, not a balloon sinoplasty. The Celon Treatment. It supposedly shrinks the turbinates but they may enlarge over time. I can breathe fine, just feel congested all the time (does that make sense?) and have lots of mucus that doesn't clear well when I blow. Will have to research the balloon procedure.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Interesting. It was actually a radiofrequency reduction the doctor was recommending, not a balloon sinoplasty. The Celon Treatment. It supposedly shrinks the turbinates but they may enlarge over time. I can breathe fine, just feel congested all the time (does that make sense?) and have lots of mucus that doesn't clear well when I blow. Will have to research the balloon procedure.
    Definitely not something *my* clinic was doing, but sounds interesting all the same! Let us know how it goes if you get it done!

I will look into this.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2