Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The day the mustache took over by Alan Katz.

You got a ton of great suggestions above, that will keep him happy and busy for awhile.

When stuck, I always email the school librarian, she has come up with some amazing stuff for DD. She also loves it when parents email her and ask for recommendations.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    My DS1, who is in 4th grade, loves the Big Nate books. https://www.amazon.com/Big-Nate-Trip...words=big+nate
    Are these similar to the Wimpy Kid books? I suggested them to DD1, as she has just recently gotten into the Wimpy Kid books.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    DD is the same age and I struggle with finding books that are a good challenge with her above-grade reading level, but aren't for older kids subject wise. She loves the HP books too (although we're currently taking a break mid-Order of the Phoenix). Lately she's been taking Diary of a Wimpy Kid books out of the school library and flying through them. The Weird School books are fun and she likes reading them in one sitting.

She's also gotten really into graphic novels like Smile, Sisters, Ghosts, Roller Girl etc. I'd assume there are tons more to choose from that would be of interest to your DS.
    I'll have to suggest Roller Girl to DD1, thanks! She loved Smile and Sisters and may get Ghosts at her school bookfair next week.

bnme is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oragimi Yoda
    The Mouse and the Moyorcycle
    Jeff Probst survivor-style series

DS is in 3rd grade and loved all the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. He and his friends are now into RL Stine's Goosebumps series.
    Mommy to DS 2007

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    I'll have to suggest Roller Girl to DD1, thanks! She loved Smile and Sisters and may get Ghosts at her school bookfair next week.
    Great! DD really liked Roller Girl. She had a hard time putting it down to leave for school the other morning.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If he likes Harry Potter, he may enjoy Tamora Pierce. She has a few trilogies/quartets that are appropriate for this age, particularly Circle of Magic and The Circle Opens. Her other books are great, too (Protector of the Small, especially), but later books in those series delve into much more mature topics.

I also highly recommend the Princess Academy trilogy, by Shannon Hale. They're very well written and very good for both boys and girls.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. DS has read all of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books so far. He loves those! He is still reading Harry Potter. But I will get some of these suggestions for him next. He did have a Goosebumps book from the school library, but after reading it a night or 2, he was staying up late and a little scared? Not sure how scary the book was. He has seen Jaws and that didnt scare him, but a Goosebumps book did...so i'm inclined to nix those because I want him going to bed at night and ontime!
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm going to recommend a series that my kids love and that is very popular in Asia but is just being published in the US. It's the Sherlock Sam series. You can buy it on amazon.

Geronimo stilton books seem to be popular at that age at my sons school
    Renee
    (mommom to Noah my beautiful Ethiopian miracle. born 6/26/08 forever a family 4/20/09)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast