Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

At that age my son really was into the "Secret Agent Jack Stalwart" series. He also loved the "I survived" series from scholastic. I think he started reading the Hardy Boys around then, too. The nice thing about all of these is they are shorter so not as overwhelming as the HP or other series with much longer books.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The 'who was' series are a huge hit here. I hate Harry Potter, DD (very advanced reader) insisted on reading then at this age, and I think they taught her the habit of reading without comprehension which we struggled for through many years. Christian the lion is another great favorite here. And ?? A gorilla named Ivan (or some such name, you know the one I'm talking about)
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. DS has read all of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books so far. He loves those! He is still reading Harry Potter. But I will get some of these suggestions for him next. He did have a Goosebumps book from the school library, but after reading it a night or 2, he was staying up late and a little scared? Not sure how scary the book was. He has seen Jaws and that didnt scare him, but a Goosebumps book did...so i'm inclined to nix those because I want him going to bed at night and ontime!
    About Goosebumps ... some of them, are silly-scary, but some of them are "go to bed with the lights on and check that your parents are home" scary. If you're familiar with the old Nickelodeon program Are You Afraid of the Dark?, they're similar levels - some are silly-scary, and some are scary-scary. It's kind of a crapshoot which one's going to bother what kid, though!!

I found the Night of the Living Dummy ones scariest, followed by the Haunted Mask ones. (I haven't read all of them. Do note that RL Stine also writes teen horror along the lines of Christopher Pike. Christopher Pike books were all the rage among my classmates when we hit 5th grade. They weren't appropriate for us, but banning them would've made them all that much more tempting!!)

Also, movies can be scary, but because a book's action is all inside your head, it can seem a lot more "real" while you're living inside the characters' heads. So while your DS was fine with Jaws (the theme music of which was enough to make me run screaming from the room as a child, but when I saw it, I laughed through the entire thing , but I was an adult at the time - it's still a well-designed film, from a horror standpoint, but the effects are pretty obvious ... sorry Bruce), it's really not shocking at all to me that Goosebumps would be worse for him!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    ... And ?? A gorilla named Ivan (or some such name, you know the one I'm talking about)
    You're thinking of The One and Only Ivan.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 is 9 and in 4th. He's currently reading the Gregor the Overlander series (same author as The Hunger Games only geared for a younger audience). He loves them. He also loves the Percy Jackson books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Are these similar to the Wimpy Kid books? I suggested them to DD1, as she has just recently gotten into the Wimpy Kid books.
    They seem similar. In the reviews, many people mention the Wimpy Kid series.

Has anyone recommended the 39 clues series? Someone I know was telling me that her DS absolutely loves this series. We don't have the books yet, but I might get them based on her praise of the series.

https://www.amazon.com/Maze-Bones-39...words=39+clues

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4