trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Home warranty plans?

When we bought our house it came with a home warranty; it is about to expire. We have used it to fix our washer, dryer and a/c. We are thinking of renewing. Thoughts? Is there a company you really like? One you would avoid? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

We have renewed ours for the last three years . It is through American Home Shield and have been very happy with it. Never had one issue with any of the technicians they have sent out . I think we pay $53 month but that includes pool coverage.

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

My experience (also with AHS) was very different. They found every possible reason to determine repair was excluded. When I cancelled service, I was bombarded with spam/solicitation calls. Also do not like the fact that you do not select service provider (if it is deemed a covered repair)...Check BBB and reviews. These home warranty companies have scads of complaints.

I'm sure it varies by area and company but the ones we've had have been awful. Ours were all included when we moved but never worth renewing. They always chose weird providers that are out of our area and always argued over issues. If yours has been good you should think about going with them. Also considered how much use you got out of them and if you still have things which are likely to need repair.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have had the same experience with American Home Shield, as Ann, we pay 47.00 per month. No issues with local contractors and they've fixes just about every appliance in my house.
    Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app[/QUOTE]

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know anyone in real life with a home warranty. I never even knew such a thing existed until I read about them on here. I have to think that if they were a good deal overall, more people would have them? We usually DIY when we have something break in the house.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    I don't know anyone in real life with a home warranty. I never even knew such a thing existed until I read about them on here. I have to think that if they were a good deal overall, more people would have them? We usually DIY when we have something break in the house.
    We got one when we moved. They have been challenging to work with. The warranty company keeps us on hold for literally an hour. They choose the service providers. They sent out one who I swear just decided one day he was a repair person. Bad website. No answer on 2 phone lines. No yelp reviews or BBB listing. And then because the work was done through the home warranty company, only warranteed for 90 days. Fingers crossed he really did know what he was doing. When our warranty runs out, pretty sure we will not be renewing.