Thread: Toyota RAV4

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Toyota RAV4

Hopefully final episode of this car buying ordeal....we've looked at and think we're getting a RAV4. This is a little bit more than I was hoping to pay, but since this is a car that the babysitter and the grandparents Will be using for the kids as well as myself maybe on the weekends, I want to make sure that it is a safe and reasonably comfortable car. We live in the north east, and of course we will try to get all the safety features, and I care very little about anything else. The grandparents would prefer an SUV because it is easier to get in and out of for them and they are used to driving from a somewhat elevated height. Everyone's tried driving the RAV4 and seem to be comfortable/like it.
    I would love some feedback from RAV4 owners. Do you love it? Hate it? Why?
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you need car seats in the back row? I think there is an issue if you need to fit 3 across in the back on some models.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just bought one. Bought a hybrid XLE model with all the safety features. I agree w pp, the middle backseat is pretty useless. Doable in a pinch but our Civic is roomier in the back seat. The RAV4 has a slight (narrow) hump in the back middle seat. So, it's great for 4 passengers but you'll need to test it out if you want the 5th spot.
    For me, it's a bit high to climb up into but everyone else seems fine.
    I haven't had it long but it seems good.
    Fwiw, I also rest drove and researched the CRV, Outback and Forester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The newer models have a documented issue with 3-across in car seats, and frankly IMHO, 3 across period. It has to do with the the overlapping seatbelts back there. Plus it's narrow anyway. So it is essentially a 4-seater. We had a newer RAV4 as a rental for 2 weeks in Canada this summer. It's narrow across and the seatbelts do overlap. (We also own a 2015 Highlander and it has the same silly overlap issue in both the 2nd and 3rd row bench seats. We have one DS so not a daily annoyance, but to add additional seats for friends and family kids is like playing seat tetris. The buckle stalks are also very short and hard to reach for boostered kids. Toyota dropped the ball on this overlap issue, maybe they will fix for the newer models going forward?!)

Otherwise, the RAV4 was pretty peppy to drive, good visibility, quiet cabin, standard Toyota performance so nothing to quibble about there.

http://thecarseatlady.com/latch3rowvehicle/
    DS 2014

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Just bought one. Bought a hybrid XLE model with all the safety features. I agree w pp, the middle backseat is pretty useless. Doable in a pinch but our Civic is roomier in the back seat. The RAV4 has a slight (narrow) hump in the back middle seat. So, it's great for 4 passengers but you'll need to test it out if you want the 5th spot.
    For me, it's a bit high to climb up into but everyone else seems fine.
    I haven't had it long but it seems good.
    Fwiw, I also rest drove and researched the CRV, Outback and Forester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    May I ask what made you choose the RAV4 over the CRV?
    No car seat issues, kids are older
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    May I ask what made you choose the RAV4 over the CRV?
    No car seat issues, kids are older
    We love and own Hondas but the CRV just wasn't that good (a 2016). It's being redesigned for 2017 and may be out already. Here's what I didn't like:
    -it didn't have any pick up during my test drive and I wasn't really trying to get it to do anything (pull out from a stop on a 25 mph road)
    -the RAV4 had much better safety technology. The RAV4 has the rear cross traffic alert, lane departure, pre-collision braking, blind spot monitors and a few other things. All the CRV had was a back up camera and some weird blind spot thing but only on the passenger side.
    -it just didn't rate well in any of the reviews I read.

It would have been about $4k cheaper and usually that would sway me. Not in this case. I just plain didn't like it. Plenty of people do though and I wish I'd been able to see the 2017. I was in a time crunch to get a new car and the 2017 wasn't due out for another month.

We liked the hybrid feature of the Toyota too.

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought DH a RAV4 to replace his Sienna last year. We have no problem with three large boys (12-22) in the back for basic weekend driving (I drive a Sequoia, so long trips are done in my car). I enjoy driving the RAV and recommend the car to others. My only complaint is that even the Limited model doesn't have all the convenience features I want: garage door button in the mirror (I plan to install an aftermarket mirror with this feature), only driver's window is auto up/down, and passenger seat is manual adjust. However, the RAV has the most legroom in the front seats and the back seats, which is essential for our family.