Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If it were me I'd do the kids' stuff first -- because the kids will be out of the house. I can't purge kid stuff while they're around...Plus, you expect to be fast at it so it shouldn't take forever.

Then I would definitely tackle the papers. I would not plan to finish them. That way you won't be stressed/disappointed when they're not all finished. But for me, the hard part of a major project like that is starting it. Once it's started and I'm over that inertia, I get so motivated to work on it. So if you make a good dent in the papers this weekend, you can probably keep the momentum going by doing a little bit at a time in the evenings or when you have a few free moments (ha! as if those exist!).

And yes, I think you should plan a break for yourself on Saturday too. Do what works for you, but definitely enjoy that kid-free time a little bit too!
    Lizi

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would definitely use the time to purge/organize anything kid related or things that would be too difficult otherwise. For example, my husband took over the dining room table with his stuff. The only way to reclaim it was to tackle it when he wasn't home. As far as the paper goes, I'd get as much done as I can and then just work through half a box or a set number of papers (say 25 or so) every night. You will be amazed at how much you can get down.

Going way back to the Fly Lady days- you will be surprised what you can accomplish in even five minutes. Pick the worst room and just spend five minutes in there organizing or purging. Or go through the room and throwaway or donate X number of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    If it were me I'd do the kids' stuff first -- because the kids will be out of the house. I can't purge kid stuff while they're around...Plus, you expect to be fast at it so it shouldn't take forever.

Then I would definitely tackle the papers. I would not plan to finish them. That way you won't be stressed/disappointed when they're not all finished. But for me, the hard part of a major project like that is starting it. Once it's started and I'm over that inertia, I get so motivated to work on it. So if you make a good dent in the papers this weekend, you can probably keep the momentum going by doing a little bit at a time in the evenings or when you have a few free moments (ha! as if those exist!).

And yes, I think you should plan a break for yourself on Saturday too. Do what works for you, but definitely enjoy that kid-free time a little bit too!
    I agree with this. Also, I would look up, print out and familiarize yourself with one of those "How long do I keep this paperwork?" lists. 12 boxes of papers is a lot, and I'm guessing that some of it can be tossed out. I would also have whatever filing system you are planning to use all set up before you start, so that you only touch each piece of paper once - identify and then toss or file - rather than sorting paperwork, then another time having to set up files and file everything. Good luck!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, do it! Time for yourself is great, even if you will be sorting through kid stuff and purging. I would do the kid stuff if that is hard to do with them around - toys, especially. Then if there are other pain points, focus on those. I wouldn't get hung up on Marie Kondo's method, but if it helps you, use what works. I found the two most useful tips from her book for me were how to fold the kids' clothes so that they could see it all when the drawer opens, and also how not to hang on to paperwork because it does not spark joy. Obviously there are some things you have to keep, but utility statements, bank statements, mortgage statements, I just read it and bin it now. It's so freeing. Most everything on paper is also on-line. Good luck to you!!!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A whole weekend by myself to clean/purge a whole house would be overwhelming to me. I would just take one weekend day (Sat) and then rest, relax on Sunday. DH and I take staycations once a year, and part of that includes cleaning/purging a few of those days. It's surprising how much you get done....and it's surprising how much there is left to do! One weekend wouldn't be enough for both of us to get our whole house in order. But that's just my 2 cents. I vote for scheduling many individual days, even a few hours at a time. It's exhausting work!!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think I'm starting to figure out what I need to do. I need to clean up hot spots and I MUST make an organized place for paper in my house. That is the reason I'm in this conundrum with paper in the first place and a huge reason why I feel stressed and unprepared all the time. I'll get started with the small projects I know I can finish but I will prioritize setting up a system for paper. Then I'll work on just the papers that are currently in my house. If the paper has been in a box for four years in my garage, I'm sure it can wait a little longer to get sorted. As to why I don't consider just tossing the whole thing I'm terribly worried about tossing the kids art projects, most of which I WILL toss but I want to have enough to document those precious years. I literally do not think I will miss anything else (but I still feel compelled to look at each page to make sure!)

Thank you for helping me think this through. Right now I'm feeling like I need "life changing magic" and I'm a little concerned I'll be disappointed at the end of the weekend. But I know myself well enough that if there is any improvement to function and appearance at my house at all it will not be wasted.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post

I have like 12 boxes of papers needing to be sorted from the time DS3 was born and we moved in briefly with my parents until now.

When you say that you have 12 boxes of papers, what do you mean? What kind of papers? I can't wrap my head around this.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree that I would focus on areas that would benefit from kid-free time.

But I have some advice on the paper stuff. Rather than sorting through all the boxes, I would try to set up a system that will work for you now. Start with the most recent piles and try to come up with a system that will work for you. I don't really understand Kondo (I think of her as being about the best ways to fold socks?), but Real Simple and other sources can help you with some simple organizing tips for papers. If I was really frustrated I might even consider hiring someone to help me.

I basically have four piles that I periodically sort through once a week or so - bills, coupons, receipts and kid stuff. I have a file cabinet, and all the bills get filed there after they're paid. Kid stuff goes into two files: archive and current. The archive is stuff I might want to keep (everything else goes into the recycling bin), then I go through it and keep only the best of the best stuff in an accordian file for K-6, and recycle the rest.

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Getting through paper felt like one of my biggest victories. I went from a two drawer file cabinet and stacks on my desk to a little folder. It's awesome. No more appliance manuals, credit card statements, bills or other junk. Just important stuff: marriage license and birth certificates, three years worth of tax documents and some car/home papers. For most kids art we recycle right away. I display some on a clothesline for awhile before recycling. I also photograph some for photo books. I'm only keeping a small box for each kid. Here's a quick and dirty description of the paper category for reference: https://www.google.com/amp/www.paren...?client=safari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I too had years of papers sort through. I devoted a few days to the job, sat in front of the TV watching my favorite shows on the DVR and just did it. I set up a good filing system, and now I have a system though it still gets backed up because I don't do it often enough. But it was a huge relief. Now I can actually find things! and that saves me a lot of time and stress, so it was worth it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast