Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Marie Kondo weekend? Am I crazy?

I'm SO busy and stressed right now. This is the one weekend until basically January that I can use to do a huge purge of all my stuff. Still, it comes when so many things are swirling around in my head.

Still, I feel like I'm running around spending many extra hours because my house is just not in order right now. I can't ever find anything. Every time I clean up one area another explodes and I don't function well in a mess.

DH will give me from the time he gets home on Friday which will be either 7pm or 5 if he ends up working from home. Then all day Saturday night until midnight. He'll keep the kids out of the house during daylight hours and everything.

I still think purging the whole house is just plain impossible. But I don't know! I only ever have a few hours at a time. Can I even keep going that long without some kind of break?

Do you think I'm crazy to take a whole weekend to do this in the midst of my craziness?

What would you do if you had that many hours?

If my house could be more organized I really would feel like my life would be much, much better which makes me want to try this thing. I'm wondering if Marie Kondo's approach is feasible for a family of 6!

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Go for it! At the very least you can tackle the big categories like clothing and books and will make an impact plus encourage you to keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am actively purging my house this year. I got quite a bit done over the summer, and now that the kids are back in school, I am anxious to resume. It is so incredibly freeing. There's a great FB group for support as well, not the official KM one. You can do it!
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do it. you will feel better and lighter. I am in the midst of doing this and it's hard to get started again, but I really want to because I know I will feel so much better after it's done, and I'll be able to think more clearly.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sure but as much as you've said you love your house, there may come a logical time to move into a bigger house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the approach but you are really just committing 18+ hours to this, not a whole weekend. (I know Sunday is booked with church stuff, but you will be back to your normal routine). I would do whatever approach let's you get stuff out of the house fast. I would decide ahead of time something like--if we haven't touched it in 3-5 years, it goes. Determine what is the source of the clutter--family heirloom storage or old kids's toys? Too many clothes? Then have a strategy based on the thing. I think sitting around and deciding if something brings me joy would drive my task centered mind bonkers. I would want some hard and fast rules. I would determine what my work flow would be--clothes first or room by room? Is it ok if it is all in boxes ready to get trucked out of the house Monday morning or do you want it gone Saturday as well?

If this is the only time you have, then do what you can. Of course you will need to take a break every so often. That's ok. Think of it as a marathon/sprint combo--you will need to take breaks to get energy surges. Oh, and stock up on caffeine of some sort ;-)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We have done it a few times (short, intense purging) but we always set boundaries like no sorting papers or memorabilia because those categories tend to slow us down. We usually limit to clothing, toys, books, toiletries, and kitchen.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I couldn't do it. I just don't work that way. I wish I could, but I'm too distractable. I'd end the weekend deflated that I didn't achieve my vision.

If you go for it, what's your plan for the stuff going out? Goodwill runs? A pile of garbage? A pile to sell?

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think I really need to think about what categories I want to attack. I actually think I'm pretty dialed in for some big categories. DH and I have organized clothing, our books are pretty organized and sorted, and I did the kitchen this summer.

I need to do some work with kids' clothes and kids' toys. I don't see that as taking all that much time actually! Also, I'm fast. I actually sort of believe in the "spark joy" thing but it isn't so flowery to me. I'm pretty good at knowing if I like the thing or not and letting it go, if that makes sense. I'm not sure I actually have to feel everything to know. I get the gist of it any way. Marie Kondo would probably tell me I'd fail because I'm not doing it her way, though, lol.

The big, big category that I need so desperately to go through is....papers.

I'm a minimalist in all things but I'm super behind on sorting and filing paper. I think I could easily do just paper for the weekend and probably not finish. I have like 12 boxes of papers needing to be sorted from the time DS3 was born and we moved in briefly with my parents until now. Prior to that absolutely everything was in order. It is super overwhelming.

Would you try the little categories? I'm guaranteed success there, though honestly I could take a kid and probably get some work done in the evening (but then again I never do). Or try to make a dent in the paperwork issue?

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Btw, I don't literally hold an object and figure out if it sparks joy :-) however, I ask myself do I really love this or use this? I use the same philisophy when I buy a new item. Unless it's something completely practical and boring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast