Thread: Hoverboards

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Hoverboards

DD really wants a hoverboard for Christmas. She will be almost 13 by then. I'm very hesitant because of all the problems people had last year with them overheating. And the injury side worries me also. Who has one? Do your kids get enough use out of it to justify the cost? Razor just came out with one last month, $400. Money isn't really the issue. I usually spend this much on her anyway. How dangerous are they?
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

Following!

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are one of those who purchased last fall (from Kohls online) and did not return. We only charge it in a room we are in, and when it is charged it comes off the plug. DS8 will only ride it with his helmet, and often with his elbow and knee pads. He got really good on it quickly, and does jumps and such. I can barely balance on the thing, and it scares me to ride it.
    I feel that if you take care with the charging, that aspect is fairly safe. As for riding, it can be difficult, but most kids that have tried ours pick it up really quickly. The problems they run into are hitting rocks or bumps on the street/sidewalk and losing their balance. You could easily break something or get a concussion if you fall the wrong way.
    DS has not used it recently, mainly because it got put in the garage so he doesn't see it like he did when it was by the front door.
    mom to Billy 12/07

One of my instructors has a daughter who just broke her arm and had to get a cast almost all the way up her arm because her hooverboard stopped suddenly when it died and she fell and broke her arm in the fall. But really that could happen on a bike or skates too, just something to watch out for.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would not have it in my house. these days, fires spread SO SO quickly due to all of the non natural fabrics we have in our homes. If it caught on fire in the time that one was out of the room to change over a load of laundry or go to the bathroom, you could be in real trouble. Just saw something on the today show where it went from spark to a whole room gone in about 3 minutes. Just not worth it IMO.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

This is the one thing DD really wants this year. Trying to find the most reputable one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DS's baseball coach's son just broke his ankle yesterday on one. He posted something about 6 years of baseball, 4 years of football, zero broken bones. One ride on a hover board: broken ankle. They're hoping he won't need surgery.