Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd really revisit the idea of taking a couple of days off school. The cost savings is significant, as is having smaller crowds in the park. We pulled our kids out for our CA universal trip, and it was much more pleasant with fewer people in the park. DC are 13 and 10. They got their homework ahead of time from their teachers, totally not a big deal for my kids. They got their work done during travel time, so they weren't behind when they got back.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post
    I'd really revisit the idea of taking a couple of days off school. The cost savings is significant, as is having smaller crowds in the park. We pulled our kids out for our CA universal trip, and it was much more pleasant with fewer people in the park. DC are 13 and 10. They got their homework ahead of time from their teachers, totally not a big deal for my kids. They got their work done during travel time, so they weren't behind when they got back.
    I totally agree. To be there during a less crowded time will be a much better experience. We were in the park from a Thursday-Saturday in June and the difference between Thurs/Fri and the Saturday were huge. But, we've always been okay taking our kids out of school for stuff like this.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh believe me, I would 100% prefer to pull DD out of school for the exact reasons you list ($$ and crowds). DH is vehemently opposed to that and isn't going to budge. So I'll take what I can get and make the most of it. I was twitchy about the cost when it was 1500 cheaper, but as long as we both agree on that, whatever. It's really the crowds that are bugging me now, and we'll get there at opening with the early admission (and rough time change!) with a plan to ensure we get to see all she'll want to. Not my ideal, but so be it.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You'll want to leave your hotel with allowing 30 min for walking and security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You'll want to leave your hotel with allowing 30 min for walking and security.

Thanks for the tip! I was planning on doing the boat from Loew's sapphire falls, planning to be at the gates 30 min prior to the early hours opening time stated as I've heard rumors they sometimes open a few minutes earlier than that. So that would be leaving the hotel an hour before stated early opening time, right? Good plan?

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I was planning on doing the boat from Loew's sapphire falls, planning to be at the gates 30 min prior to the early hours opening time stated as I've heard rumors they sometimes open a few minutes earlier than that. So that would be leaving the hotel an hour before stated early opening time, right? Good plan?
    That's a great plan. All three days we were there, they started letting people into the park even before the stated early opening time. The HP area is waaay at the back, so just zip over there and ignore all the other rides/attractions you will see along the way. You can come back to those later. Use your first few hours exclusively at HP, when the park will be the quietest. It'll be fine. Another thing is, you can't take backpacks on the Hogwarts ride (and some of the other ones, too). A friend suggested that we not take a backpack to not waste time at the lockers. We took her advice the first day (cargo pants/fanny pack for snacks) and since there weren't really any crowds, we would have been fine either way. But, I saw on Saturday, that it would have been a pain to deal with the lockers for backpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by baymom View Post
    That's a great plan. All three days we were there, they started letting people into the park even before the stated early opening time. The HP area is waaay at the back, so just zip over there and ignore all the other rides/attractions you will see along the way. You can come back to those later. Use your first few hours exclusively at HP, when the park will be the quietest. It'll be fine. Another thing is, you can't take backpacks on the Hogwarts ride (and some of the other ones, too). A friend suggested that we not take a backpack to not waste time at the lockers. We took her advice the first day (cargo pants/fanny pack for snacks) and since there weren't really any crowds, we would have been fine either way. But, I saw on Saturday, that it would have been a pain to deal with the lockers for backpacks.
    Thank you! My backpack was definitely part of the plan, so that will be ditched. Off to look for a super sweet(ha!) fanny pack. Huge tip.

DD will probably only be interested in Harry Potter, so that's ideal. She's also pretty afraid of rides, but I'm sure will want to experience it just because it's HP, so that's the plan, run to the ride, then explore.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Don't forget that you could send packages back to your hotel from gift shops. We sent our wand boxes back to the hotel because they were too big for some of the lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Don't forget that you could send packages back to your hotel from gift shops. We sent our wand boxes back to the hotel because they were too big for some of the lockers.

Purchasing a wand to do the fun tricks around the park is definitely in the plan, I wouldn't have thought about the packages being sent to the hotel! Great tip!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4