Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Would u test for mono

I'm a teacher and have all the symptoms of mono. My strep test came back negative and was told viral. I have had it for 7 days. I don't think u can do anything for mono so would u even get tested and if so at what point?

Hoping it's just a cold virus.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes I would why tested because then you will know how long you will be contagious and because mono can cause complications re spleen etc. Hope you feel better soon. I've had mono, and it sucks.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree -- also, if it's truly mono, you'll have an idea of how long you might be dealing with exhaustion, no energy, prolonged fatigue... (can you tell I'm familiar with mono?) in case you need to plan re: work.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

yes mono can effect your spleen as well as being contagious get checked.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, agree with all PPs. Sorry you are feeling so bad. I've had it twice and it was so rough.
    K

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What test do they do and how long were you sick before tested? This exhaustion is awful. Anything that helps besides rest?

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

They diagnosed me just through blood work and a physical exam (feeling my spleen). I had been sick for 1-2 days, basically passed out while walking, my neck glands were huge, and I was immobilized by exhaustion. I was in high school (so just a few years ago haha). IIRC I was in bed for weeks, obviously something I wouldn't have the luxury for now. The docs did tell me it was really important to rest though to avoid complications. Then I remember the fatigue lasting a long time.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DGD1 got mono in 3rd grade (dx'd by blood test and physical exam), and missed about 7 weeks of school because of severe fatigue... The only bright side was that she became an avid reader. Before that, she was so active that she wasn't very interested in reading.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes, I would get tested. I had it in graduate school and I really wiped me out for a while. I also had elevated liver levels that made me feel awful that they monitored afterwards to make sure they returned to normal. Hope its not mono and you are feeling better quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would get tested, but not yet. I'd wait another week, at least, since a cold virus can easily last that long. I got tested after 2.5 weeks with no improvement. I really thought I had strep when
    I had it but had multiple strep tests come back negative. I had it while teaching too. I didn't really have the option of taking weeks off work, so the dr just said to not cough/sneeze on the kids and they would be ok. Not the best situation, but what can you do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast