Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Should I treat myself for Lice...

If I'm not sure I have them? Back story: treated 2 kids a few weeks ago, then it came back. I have been feeling itchy but DH swears he doesn't see anything. Now the kids have it again and I got a prescription from the doctor for a special shampoo. Treated them and have enough to do mine. Would it hurt anything ?!?

Thanks,
    Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It wouldn't hurt to treat yourself, though it's not necessary. When my kids have gotten lice, I do the conditioner-Terminator-comb-through on my own hair just at the nape of the neck to check for any evidence of lice. If I don't see anything, I don't bother treating myself.

Our kids don't share our bed, but if they did I would definitely treat myself.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you trust your hubby to find any? b/c I know that unless one jumped up onto his hand and waved hello, my dh would claim not to see any whenever I ask him to check me......

If your kids share your comb/brush, shower cap, or snuggle with you in bed, I'd go ahead and treat yourself.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Thanks for both of your replies! I went ahead and treated myself, I mean it can't hurt .... right ?!?

Ann

I, and two others mothers I know, had the same experience. Hubby was too tired, too impatient, or had poor eyesight (diagnosed or not) and was not able to accurately gauge the presence of lice. I treated myself on two occasions and felt better that I did. The first time I doubted I had lice - I'd been to a house where someone had lice, and felt itchy afterwards, so I bought the OTC shampoo, but it was just paranoia on my part. Second time, all my kids had known lice, lots, and I thought I'd seen one or two come out of my hair when I combed, so I did the OTC shampoo and a quick comb. Not sure if I did a second treatment. I am not sure if I had lice then or not, but I felt better for treating, since my kids 100% had it.

eta: Is your "special shampoo" the clear liquid that is like alcohol and turpentine, not like shampoo at all? That's whatour pediatrician prescribed for our kids. It's because we were on vacation, had three major cases, and my kids have super thick, long, curly, biracial hair that is very hard to comb even with a normal wide tooth comb. We needed two bottles per kid, but it did work.
    Last edited by american_mama; 10-16-2016 at 05:48 PM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

I would have treated myself, too. Right decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    I, and two others mothers I know, had the same experience. Hubby was too tired, too impatient, or had poor eyesight (diagnosed or not) and was not able to accurately gauge the presence of lice. I treated myself on two occasions and felt better that I did. The first time I doubted I had lice - I'd been to a house where someone had lice, and felt itchy afterwards, so I bought the OTC shampoo, but it was just paranoia on my part. Second time, all my kids had known lice, lots, and I thought I'd seen one or two come out of my hair when I combed, so I did the OTC shampoo and a quick comb. Not sure if I did a second treatment. I am not sure if I had lice then or not, but I felt better for treating, since my kids 100% had it.

eta: Is your "special shampoo" the clear liquid that is like alcohol and turpentine, not like shampoo at all? That's whatour pediatrician prescribed for our kids. It's because we were on vacation, had three major cases, and my kids have super thick, long, curly, biracial hair that is very hard to comb even with a normal wide tooth comb. We needed two bottles per kid, but it did work.
    No, it was in a tube and was white and thick like shampoo but didn't bubble up. And it was $45 a tube !

Ann

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I definitely would have treated myself.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

We treated the whole family when my kids had lice, even though neither one of us found nits on the other. (Not sure if DH was very skilled at looking for them.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Be aware that the chemical shampoos often don't work. The lice have become chemical resistant. I highly recommend you get a terminator comb and some cheap conditioner and do comb outs. With or without the shampoo, comb outs will get rid of the lice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast